International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

to darken the eggs color you should get some stock from @Tom Bright . he is no far away from you .
do some swapping cockerels with pullets if possible .than both of you will have a complete marans traits to work with . will take you less time plus you expend the gene pool . @Tom Bright his marans are a same class to your .he is in the 3 generation .

parasitic white will go away one day for sure .
chooks man
Chooks man thank you so much for the complement! When all this virus is figured out we will definitely get together. I think Marchick's birds are superior to most birds on the internet. We have access to the original breeder of my birds (Brian Parks) out of Eugene, Oregon.
The egg that I posted was my first pullet egg this year, have not got another egg. Marchick's eggs posted are fantastic! The ones on the bottom right are as dark as any I have. I get lighter eggs also. We just need to keep hatching. TOM

Chooks man thank you so much for the complement! When all this virus is figured out we will definitely get together. I think Marchick's birds are superior to most birds on the internet. We have access to the original breeder of my birds (Brian Parks) out of Eugene, Oregon.
The egg that I posted was my first pullet egg this year, have not got another egg. Marchick's eggs posted are fantastic! The ones on the bottom right are as dark as any I have. I get lighter eggs also. We just need to keep hatching. TOM
Thank you Tom! The parasitic white is the worse. I hope I can breed it out. Your pullet egg looked darker to me. Beautiful egg!

IMG_20201221_113303155.jpg
IMG_20201221_113255305.jpg
IMG_20201221_113228602.jpg

Here is Albedo , the yearling cock I kept. The poor black silver cockerels are getting their tails picked on right now as everyone jockeys for position in the social ladder, I've been culling and Albedo is the current boss. I went with John for the black silver cockerels of this year and Jean for the blue silver cockerels.
Albedo has a backup in Star, this year's white marans:
IMG_20201221_113211511.jpg
IMG_20201221_113140657.jpg

He's hatched in June so he's still got a ways to go before he's filled out, but he stands nice and has nice shape. I think he's gonna grow into that tail for sure based on what I've seen from his line.
I'm going to turn on the lights in the next 2 weeks so I'll share egg picture then!

Thank you for your input Chooks Man. I'll freely admit when I got my Marans I had no clue what I was looking for. At the time my flock consisted of barnyard mixes that my stray game hen had hatched off. Prior to this years ago my only experience with chickens was when i was younger and my dad raised meat chickens which were mixes but let me when i was 4 buy 2 of my "own" chicks and i ended up with Dominiques. I ended up with a Roo and Hen which installed my love for chickens. The Marans came about this past year after decided i didn't want just mixes and while looking for big friendly chickens i kept getting recommendations to try them. I will be forever grateful to those who suggested them as friendly doesn't even begin to describe my guys. They are big puppy dogs covered in feathers and are very smart. Drumstick has "me" trained now that if he wants his special treats he'll come peck on the front screen door then let out a single crow and wait. Also since getting these guys major flock changes have happened Most of my barnyard mixes have been rehomed with only a select few of my family's favorite hens remaining. Drumstick even won over my daughter and she let me rehome her mix rooster toothless. His son who also hatched out with the holly babie's leaves tomorrow to join his daddy and the hens i let go with him. That will leave me with just 2 boys. Drumstick and his son who is named Bumblebee.

At least so far no white in tail or foot feathers. White under fluff though. Not good!

I don’t worry about a white foot feather as much because feet feathers will turn white when damaged. I agree that white underffluff and tail feathers is a no go unless I have no other options. Parasitic white can be bred out but just takes several generations. All other traits of your Marans are correct so you get to where you want to be in time.

These are eggs I am getting so far.

These eggs look proper to me?

Some darker than others of course and lighting with a camera can make it hard to show actual color.

I can take a picture of my eggs in 2 different places on my kitchen counter and get opposite results colorwise.

Very challenging when i want to show y'all the eggs.

sound good to me .
you both have nice BCM lines .hope all goes well .
chooks man

View attachment 2458654View attachment 2458656View attachment 2458659
Here is Albedo , the yearling cock I kept. The poor black silver cockerels are getting their tails picked on right now as everyone jockeys for position in the social ladder, I've been culling and Albedo is the current boss. I went with John for the black silver cockerels of this year and Jean for the blue silver cockerels.
Albedo has a backup in Star, this year's white marans:
View attachment 2458662View attachment 2458664
He's hatched in June so he's still got a ways to go before he's filled out, but he stands nice and has nice shape. I think he's gonna grow into that tail for sure based on what I've seen from his line.
I'm going to turn on the lights in the next 2 weeks so I'll share egg picture then!

both gorgeous .the oldest one has a correct head and comb . the youngest is more pure white better legs color pink.
you have done a lot progress with your white line my friend ,
Bravo
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom