International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I know.

I opened the clears to make sure.
They looked infertile to me.

But one that i thought was clear ended up having a developing chick.
I hate when that happens.
Marans newby mistake.

New rule with marans eggs.
Dont candle until day 14 or lockdown.

Still, crappy hatch rate for an 8 hour round trip.

If I get a couple of beautiful, dark egg laying, low tailed, correct pullets out of this, i will be happy.
That was my goal.

If not?
Meh, enjoy the ride and have a beeah.

I do not candle my marans eggs till the day I move them to the hatcher .
chooks man

Yes. All are laying now as of this month.
I need to start penning to learn their eggs. Who is laying what.

View attachment 2504620

gorgeous shape and color too .all the pullets who laid those eggs are dark eggs breeders in my books .
happy for you ,you have the dark egg genes in your lines . you have the full body pattern and a high quality copper .you have mass in your foundation pullet plus low tail .
now you have to put all these traits in the next generation .and breed them true .
I m really hoping you will couple nice low tail cockerels from the eggs in the hatcher .good luck .

chooks man

I saw the white flight feather and assumed it would molt out?
It almost looks like a remnant white chick feather?

I know nothing. Ha.

normally they molt out . not a big deal .she has all the good traits we need to breed a well colored , wide /chunky .low tail cockerels.
you are going to breed from her a lot ,so I m not worrying about the white . only few of her progeny will be carrying this trait .

chooks man

Yes.
Her name is Georgia.
After I posted all the pictures,
my chooks man learning kicked in and i knew she would pair nicely with Waylon the cockerel.
That they would compliment each other.

The pullet with full hackle pared with him would create over colored birds with no mass.

impressed you are getting your head around breeding chooks .
you are correct ,full hackle pullet will not be paired with Waylon . we want to breed for her future boy friend .from Georgia X Waylon or if we are lucky we get nice cockerel from the hatching eggs .

chooks man

All the rest of the pullets have too much tail at a high angle.

I am working on finding out egg color.

the eggs you posted are all good . if they come from them than it is alright .
for now I want you to catch Georgia laying . she is the first one to breed at 10 months old . we want cockerels from her to breed to long tail pullets next breeding season .

chooks man

they have not hatch yet .so guy be a little patient . we need good thought so maybe we will be gifted couple very nice cockerels to work with .that will be great .

chooks man
I am not saying she is doing a bad job. To me she traveled that far so she has a good hatch rate to maximize on what she spent and her 8 hours on the road. To already be at 60% maximum and they didn’t even hatch yet that is not good. That is the kind of hatch rate you can expect from shipped eggs.

wrong goal my friend ,
I hope they all hatch and they all low tails cockerels ,so we can use them over hen line 2 .
you don t need more hens .you have enough . you need a low tail cockerel .that will be your first breeding step . I told how Georgia X waylon will produce you the future cockerels .but we still need different line if possible than we good for ever ,no need any more blood lines .

chooks man
Yes. I understand.
Do you remember when i went to pick up the eggs that are in the incubator now all of the roosters on her farm have a ton of white underfluff.

I thought you said we would only keep the pullets from this hatch because of that.

I maybe misunderstood though.

gorgeous shape and color too .all the pullets who laid those eggs are dark eggs breeders in my books .
happy for you ,you have the dark egg genes in your lines . you have the full body pattern and a high quality copper .you have mass in your foundation pullet plus low tail .
now you have to put all these traits in the next generation .and breed them true .
I m really hoping you will couple nice low tail cockerels from the eggs in the hatcher .good luck .

chooks man
Thank you my friend.

Here is the second cockerel.
The mean one.
I put him in the legbar pen.
He was even mean while penned with Waylon in their bachelor coop.

A couple of weeks ago, i let the 2 of them out into the yard.
He tried to kill the FexEx man, me, and my husband.

I tried carrying him around for a while, pinning him down on the ground, none of that helped.

No white on him. Just rain and muck.

20210127_090930.jpg
20210127_090908.jpg
20210127_090851.jpg
20210127_090845.jpg
20210127_090832.jpg
20210127_090823.jpg
20210127_090551.jpg
20210127_090525.jpg
20210127_090408.jpg
20210127_090348.jpg

Back