International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I have been having a problem with Waylon for 3 days now. He sits on his hocks and cannot walk. I have him in a very large dog crate.

No other symptoms.
Comb and wattles are normal, no congestion, eyes clear, no bumble foot or mites, He eats, drinks, crows and yells because he is separated from the hens. He just cannot hold his weight. Legs are tucked under him. Not out.

Poop looks fine, a little bit green but large with urine cap. I have not seen a cecel poop in the cage though. I have not seen any worms either but wonder if I should worm him just to rule it out?
20210614_124909.jpg

In the past 3 days since he went lame, he has not gotten better or worse.

He is exactly 1 year old yesterday.

I feed 18-20% flock raiser depending on what brand is available at the store. All my flocks eat the same feed.

I went and bought rooster booster liquid B-12 +vitamin K and have given him 3cc for 2 days. No change. I am about to go out and buy a multi vitamin for him to try.

All the other birds are doing great and no birds have been introduced. He is my only line #2 rooster. The only breeding roo I have at the moment.

I am thinking some type of vitamin deficiency but how? Feed bags are used up in a week and everyone gets the same feed. How is he the only one?

Any experience or suggestions?

I have been having a problem with Waylon for 3 days now. He sits on his hocks and cannot walk. I have him in a very large dog crate.

No other symptoms.
Comb and wattles are normal, no congestion, eyes clear, no bumble foot or mites, He eats, drinks, crows and yells because he is separated from the hens. He just cannot hold his weight. Legs are tucked under him. Not out.

Poop looks fine, a little bit green but large with urine cap. I have not seen a cecel poop in the cage though. I have not seen any worms either but wonder if I should worm him just to rule it out?
View attachment 2720893

I feed 18-20% flock raiser depending on what brand is available at the store. All my flocks eat the same feed.

I went and bought rooster booster liquid B-12 +vitamin K and have given him 3cc for 2 days. No change. I am about to go out and buy a multi vitamin for him to try.

All the other birds are doing great and no birds have been introduced. He is my only line #2 rooster. The only breeding roo I have at the moment.

I am thinking some type of vitamin deficiency but how? Feed bags are used up in a week and everyone gets the same feed. How is he the only one?

I have a hen like that. she must have fallen (or was pushed) from the high roost. she is getting better with no treatment.

I think 18+% protein is too much for a roo.

I have a hen like that. she must have fallen (or was pushed) from the high roost. she is getting better with no treatment.

I think 18+% protein is too much for a roo.
Hmmm.
I didnt know this. Ive always used all flock for years. Could this be the problem do you think?

Their roosts are about 16-18 inches up to try and avoid issues.

No other symptoms.

View attachment 2720893

very bad news .I m afraid nothing you can do about it ,it is related to nerve system , some thing went wrong .
I lost 2 gorgeous roosters last year { I had to put them to sleep } .same thing you are describing happen to them ,keep them for a more them 2 months , nothing happen .
this year I have one BLC rooster , same thing happen to him 5 months ago .this one I kept him to see if he get well ,now after 5 months he start to move around and standing on his feet not as strong but he can go around .no breeding for sure .
you can keep him and see ho knows maybe will go away with a time .

chooks man

I will worm him now. Thank you for reminding me.

worming has nothing to do with nerve system my dear friend .
worming is to clean the internal parasite .

come back from the farm today . the Blue copper rooster I told you about the one with a same sickness to yours . he is doing ok walking better now ,still can not stand properly on his legs but way better , I m happy with his progress ,month 6 . I will keep him as long as I can { his brothers do no bother him plus the sickness does not seem to be contagious } I want to understand this sickness . if he will recover 100% I will not breed from him .

chooks man

Yea, I didnt think worming would help but I want to rule out everything I can.

He is back with his hens. No change for better or worse. Just looking pitifu no being able to walk around. He does manage to get to food and water.

A couple more days I will cull him.

Back
Top Bottom