International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

my friend I m telling you her father is not pure silver cuckoo .impossible ,genetic does not do mistake . any pure silver rooster over golden hens will produce silver pullets .sex linked .
if the rooster you used is pure silver than the pullet you are talking about is a boy .
shame you have not photos of her/him

chooks man

the guy I got marans from has 1 pen with pure cuckoo marans and 1 pen with cuckoo roo and 2 bc hens. I was afraid she might end up he.

in that case I probably don't have another girl so no breeding silver black. I do have 1 blue cuckoo pullet and 3 cuckoo cockerels. I will try to get more pullets in september. I am not happy with bc I have now so I will sell them. if I can choose 1 or 2 nice girls I will give them to my friend who breeds marans.

I let them all run loose and keep the hens and pullets penned. a bachelor pen is on my list of projects.

Do you ever free range your hens? I want to throw out my roosters too but am still trying to figure out how to work it. Where do they roost at night? I have lots of space but only one pen. Also i like to let my hens out of the run whenever possible.

And another completely unrelated question that my son keeps asking me: how many generations does it take to make a purebred? I have no idea how to answer that....
I would think if the cock and the hen where purebred then every generation would be pure. Not without faults, just pure. Chooks man will let us know for sure. Probably depends on ones interpation of "pure".

And another completely unrelated question that my son keeps asking me: how many generations does it take to make a purebred? I have no idea how to answer that....
depend how pure are the first parents use and how different are to each other .
if you are talking about starting with 2 strain crossing or more ,you need many many generations over 6 generations with selective breeding .
there is not a set formula to follow .many different ways to go about it .

chooks man

sorry guys I haven t posted for a while ,we are in lockdown in Sydney week4 .have not see the .for all this duration .can not go to the farm .
I can not go to the new farm up north either . so all my breeding and building have stopped for a time been .shame we are throwing some gorgeous dark eggs .
what we can do ,just wait to see what happen ,if the lockdown will ease or will go more harder .

it is very hard for me not to see my chooks for that long .what we can do .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom