International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Thank you for this explanation.

Yes. Cockerel line looks to be producing nice cockerels as it should but not nice pullets then. Of course, that makes sense.
There are 15 I am growing out to select from.

Pullet line I need to wait a few more weeks to see exactly what is coming out but I do not see mossiness. I am only keeping pullets from the darkest eggs from this pen. And 1 who doesn't lay the darkest but has a beautiful shaped egg.

Please don't ever think I'm questioning your advice.
I am just one of those people that needs to know WHY about everything. It can be very annoying.
does not bother me when you ask question ,if you do nt ask how you are going to know.
all my advice to you guys is based on photos you posted . so I really don t know your chooks as well as you ,
it is very hard to produce a well colored cockerels with a minimum autossomal red genes s .
you will see those mossy cockerels will turn up as goegeous as they can ,full body pattern with a well marked chest .( nice amount of coppery lacing )

in the future we will breed the mossiness out . for that you need to make sure to mark all the pullets without mossiness . from a pullets line .,so they are not from a same line as a cockerels .very important .
chooks man

does not bother me when you ask question ,if you do nt ask how you are going to know.
all my advice to you guys is based on photos you posted . so I really don t know your chooks as well as you ,
it is very hard to produce a well colored cockerels with a minimum autossomal red genes s .
you will see those mossy cockerels will turn up as goegeous as they can ,full body pattern with a well marked chest .( nice amount of coppery lacing )

in the future we will breed the mossiness out . for that you need to make sure to mark all the pullets without mossiness . from a pullets line .,so they are not from a same line as a cockerels .very important .
chooks man
Black and blue copper hens do carry the Autossomal Red genes but they do no express it .
It is a reason we don t keep the pullets showing mossiness at the young age .
rooster do carry and express the Autossomal Red genes as lacing on they chest and copper marking on they shoulders . The reason why we don t have to worry if they show mossiness at the young age as long as they will have a complete body marking without access
Chooksman

umpure Black/blue copper chicks will show mossiness too ,if a BCM /BLCM are crossed to a Wheaten or any red varieties they chicks will be black with a heavy mossiness .pullets and cockerels .
we don t have to worry about that because we are breding from pure BC/BLC stock s .
chooks man

umpure Black/blue copper chicks will show mossiness too ,if a BCM /BLCM are crossed to a Wheaten or any red varieties they chicks will be black with a heavy mossiness .pullets and cockerels .
we don t have to worry about that because we are breding from pure BC/BLC stock s .
chooks man
Yes. They are pure. The mossiness is not heavy but is noticeable to me. It is already growing out and is now only on the very tips of their feathers.

I am keeping the cockerel line and pullet line marked and separate.

I have 1 or 2 young cockerels from the pullet pen (Mr. Comb)because I am curious to see what they will look like. They had brown head spots as chicks. They also have grown their combs much faster. We can cull later.

And 1 pullet from JR pen with no mossiness but brown head spot. Out of curiosity too.

As you can see, I am going to need more room!

Yes. They are pure. The mossiness is not heavy but is noticeable to me. It is already growing out and is now only on the very tips of their feathers.

I am keeping the cockerel line and pullet line marked and separate.

I have 1 or 2 young cockerels from the pullet pen (Mr. Comb)because I am curious to see what they will look like. They had brown head spots as chicks. They also have grown their combs much faster. We can cull later.

And 1 pullet from JR pen with no mossiness but brown head spot. Out of curiosity too.

As you can see, I am going to need more room!
Post photos of the chicks so we can see what are you talking about.
Take photos of the ones you are thinking are good to keep . If the photos are good and taken from the proper angles I can tell you the ones you need to keep and the ones you need to get rid of . You don t need to keep some thing if it is not worth it.
I told you every thing I know about how to select chicks at the early age .
Chooks man

Well I've made it all the way to page 1000 on the thread so far. So much to learn. I think I will need to go back with a notebook and pen to take proper notes cause its hard to find the info you remember reading a while back! Lol!
Also my first set of chicks from the nasty killer rooster ( pure bc ) are in lockdown today. Hatch day is Monday:fl I've never hatched Marans before.

Well I've made it all the way to page 1000 on the thread so far. So much to learn. I think I will need to go back with a notebook and pen to take proper notes cause its hard to find the info you remember reading a while back! Lol!
Also my first set of chicks from the nasty killer rooster ( pure bc ) are in lockdown today. Hatch day is Monday:fl I've never hatched Marans before.
good luck!

My best hen Dark Angel she is about to finish her moult .
9298300A-79FF-41B5-9BED-C0AE9CBB7B08.jpeg
9176DADA-F295-46ED-B244-E2AEA4DF2C69.jpeg
9A4F2EB1-2550-4A95-B666-66EC2BAA6398.jpeg

She lay very dark eggs all year around.
Looking forward to breed from her .
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom