International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

This one was the last to hatch and has a bit of a curled foot so it’s not wanting to stand a lot. It can stand and does walk but I think it was in the shell to long or maybe malpositioned. All of the Marans pipped on the wrong end of the egg.
Yes some times chicks hatch from the wrong side of the egg.
As long as they hatch I don t see the problem .
Chooks man

Marans rooster with a wrong body type V shape and high tail.
Short back and high tail always associated with V shape body type Not to breed from except if it is the only rooster you gave . Lucky me I have many of them.
Chooks man
I forgot to post the photo
8666FD9E-6244-403A-A9D6-EA50803C6774.jpeg

Chooks man

Chick #1 without the red light. This one has the least white, and potential to be a good breeder. I hope!

She’s ( I think she’s a she?) is chunky but the chunkiest is definitely chick #3, the one with way too much white hatch down.

Attachments

• 6A992B65-DE3C-43EF-A43E-37E025894CC4.jpeg
    6A992B65-DE3C-43EF-A43E-37E025894CC4.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 6BC46247-33AB-490A-B420-D1F8906DA164.jpeg
    6BC46247-33AB-490A-B420-D1F8906DA164.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 6DE00EE2-87A5-47C5-9892-9E80515E7B33.jpeg
    6DE00EE2-87A5-47C5-9892-9E80515E7B33.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 70049972-77E7-4EC8-B24E-771CBDD6AB8F.jpeg
    70049972-77E7-4EC8-B24E-771CBDD6AB8F.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 1
  • FBBBFDA0-7D37-4D9A-B987-B38FD43DBBAA.jpeg
    FBBBFDA0-7D37-4D9A-B987-B38FD43DBBAA.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 1
Nice looking chick.
The yellow coloring could be albumin stain. If so, it happens sometimes and will go away.

What was your temp and humidity?
Ahh temp and humid! I am using a hovabator 1588 forced air model. I bought some digital thermometer/hydrometer on amazon and calibrated the incubator to those. My temp was between 99.8 F - 100F for most of the incubation. Humidity according to the bator was around 40% sometimes dropping to 35% . At lockdown when I unplugged the turner the temp dropped on my digital thermometer down to 96.7, but my incubator still read 100F so I got scared that it was too cool and turned the incubator up a wee bit to 100.5 F ( then my digital read 98.4 - 98.9 ) I’m worried I cooked the developing eggs when I did that because there was way more signs of life before lockdown. ( Now I’m questioning the accuracy of my digital thermometer because when I stuck a mercury thermometer in after I lowered the temp back down to 100F the mercury thermometer read 100F

During lockdown According to the bator the humidy was 44-48 but the digital read 58- 64. I went with the digital one. The bator needed refilled with water every couple days. Didn’t hold humidity amazingly.

My house is dry, my climate is dry. We have a wood stove going all the time in the winter. Humidity in my house according to the digital hydrometer is 10%. I definitely could never get away with a dry hatch.

Sorry this post is so long, but I’ve had three really bad hatched so far this season, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, because fertility has been great.

Ok i just got them. Feeling kinda discouraged. Only one, the first one looks like a breeder bird. The others have way too much white on them!
This one has a lot white but I like his body type chunky plum with shorter legs well feathered .
Hatch down colour is not main factor when selecting chicks . Body type always first .
Chooks man
Ok good to know. I think parasitic white will be my big thing to get rid of, but body type first.

Is this one a boy? He’s my biggest chick.

Ahh temp and humid! I am using a hovabator 1588 forced air model. I bought some digital thermometer/hydrometer on amazon and calibrated the incubator to those. My temp was between 99.8 F - 100F for most of the incubation. Humidity according to the bator was around 40% sometimes dropping to 35% . At lockdown when I unplugged the turner the temp dropped on my digital thermometer down to 96.7, but my incubator still read 100F so I got scared that it was too cool and turned the incubator up a wee bit to 100.5 F ( then my digital read 98.4 - 98.9 ) I’m worried I cooked the developing eggs when I did that because there was way more signs of life before lockdown. ( Now I’m questioning the accuracy of my digital thermometer because when I stuck a mercury thermometer in after I lowered the temp back down to 100F the mercury thermometer read 100F

During lockdown According to the bator the humidy was 44-48 but the digital read 58- 64. I went with the digital one. The bator needed refilled with water every couple days. Didn’t hold humidity amazingly.

My house is dry, my climate is dry. We have a wood stove going all the time in the winter. Humidity in my house according to the digital hydrometer is 10%. I definitely could never get away with a dry hatch.

Sorry this post is so long, but I’ve had three really bad hatched so far this season, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, because fertility has been great.
I've never had good hatches with your particular incubator or any styrofoam one. I have heard others do though.

It is best to incubate your dark Marans eggs separately from other breeds because they require different settings. My best hatches are low humidity all the way through. I let it get down into the teens even. Never above 35. At lockdown, 40-45%.
Humidity spikes during hatch on its own.
100 is a good temp.

This is only my experience in my climate. Others may chime in with other methods that work for them.

That being said, maybe try a different incubator?

To loose so many from both breeds and 3 really bad hatches, It sounds like heat and humidity were all over the place and not accurate. Mercury thermometers are great by the way.

Back
Top Bottom