International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Why is it so hard to source Black Silvers? Any help would be appreciated. Should I just get a incubator and buy hatching eggs? I really don't want hatchery birds this time.
@Chooks man, do you have Black Birchens ? I haven't seen you talk about any of yours or seen pics....just curious
I don t have any silver black Marans for the moment I sold my old line few years back.
I m rebreeding this lovely variety again from scratch . I have one F1 rooster and couple of silver cuckoo hens . I ll breed them together this breeding season to get silver back pullets and I will breed my dark silver cuckoo rooster to a black copper hens to get more F1 silver black.
Long way to go
Chooks man

@wrathsfarm here my F1 silver black ,he has one copy of a silver gene and one copy of a golden gene .he is S/s+ his sire is Dark silver cuckoo and his Dam is a BLC hen .
GBTJ6347.JPG
OTPT6711.JPG

I will mate him to a silver cuckoo hen/s ,all his daughter will be F2 silver black and silver Blue with some golden leakage ,
chooks man

@wrathsfarm here my F1 silver black ,he has one copy of a silver gene and one copy of a golden gene .he is S/s+ his sire is Dark silver cuckoo and his Dam is a BLC hen .
View attachment 3532143View attachment 3532145
I will mate him to a silver cuckoo hen/s ,all his daughter will be F2 silver black and silver Blue with some golden leakage ,
chooks man
He looks stunning even with the gold. Kinda wish half and half Roos were accepted varieties, in the same way blue is as well as pure black and splash. But then I suppose you end up with leaky wings in silvers. Have this problem with my Duckwing Wellies.

He looks stunning even with the gold. Kinda wish half and half Roos were accepted varieties, in the same way blue is as well as pure black and splash. But then I suppose you end up with leaky wings in silvers. Have this problem with my Duckwing Wellies.
similar to a Germain feverolles chooks silver with Autossomal red .
that will create a lot confusion I think .
pure silver black or pure silver Blue are stunning color .more impressive than copper I think .
chooks man

similar to a Germain feverolles chooks silver with Autossomal red .
that will create a lot confusion I think .
pure silver black or pure silver Blue are stunning color .more impressive than copper I think .
chooks man
Is autosomal red the same red gene that makes a buff bird red? If so, I understand how that works, or is it something different. I’ve heard people say it’s complicated.

I assume you meant Salmon Faverolles, spent five minutes confused because I was sure they were French, not German. 😂

Is autosomal red the same red gene that makes a buff bird red? If so, I understand how that works, or is it something different. I’ve heard people say it’s complicated.

I assume you meant Salmon Faverolles, spent five minutes confused because I was sure they were French, not German. 😂
any red genes not related or attached to sex link red s+ is Autossomal red genes .there is a lot debate about it ,some peoples say it is actual gene others say it is not a real gene it is a group of genes who are not related to sex link gold .
any way it is a gene responsable for wild type hen e+ variety red chest .
it is a same genes responsable for a BC rooster red shoulders
it is a complex group of genes I think
the original French faverolles was pure silver the rooster has a silder shoulders .but the Germain breed the Autossomal red into them making them look ( rooster ) yellow hackle and red shoulder .
chooks man

any red genes not related or attached to sex link red s+ is Autossomal red genes .there is a lot debate about it ,some peoples say it is actual gene others say it is not a real gene it is a group of genes who are not related to sex link gold .
any way it is a gene responsable for wild type hen e+ variety red chest .
it is a same genes responsable for a BC rooster red shoulders
it is a complex group of genes I think
the original French faverolles was pure silver the rooster has a silder shoulders .but the Germain breed the Autossomal red into them making them look ( rooster ) yellow hackle and red shoulder .
chooks man
Ah okay, this is like my Mixed breed rooster then. His mother is a light Brahma cross Lohmann brown, so is an all white bird but has patches of red on her breast and shoulders. His father is a silver Wellie, so he’s S/S just has red from the layer in him.
6DABF811-55F5-4110-B40F-3FB59C3D1A91.jpeg
8F36BDA8-1791-4736-8B01-5E458ECB343B.jpeg
C3212655-094A-4B4E-86E3-874B3F6E25FA.jpeg

Sorry this isn’t really related but I’m trying to understand genetics properly. My only real understanding is from the chicken calculator website where red is only a single gene (Mh), and the red from a duck wing’s breast and shoulders just comes from the e+ allele.

Ah okay, this is like my Mixed breed rooster then. His mother is a light Brahma cross Lohmann brown, so is an all white bird but has patches of red on her breast and shoulders. His father is a silver Wellie, so he’s S/S just has red from the layer in him.View attachment 3532264View attachment 3532265View attachment 3532266
Sorry this isn’t really related but I’m trying to understand genetics properly. My only real understanding is from the chicken calculator website where red is only a single gene (Mh), and the red from a duck wing’s breast and shoulders just comes from the e+ allele.
yes you are correct his red shoulder ,back and chest are from Autossomal red genes .
Mh is autossomal gene because it is not sex linked gene .
No e+ Allele give the duckwing pattern to the bird not the red , red come from sex linked red or Autossomal red ,because we see a silver duckwing S/S rooster has not red on him at all but the silver duckwing hen has always her chest red ) Salmon ) part of the wild type original design ,never change never get affectted by the silver .
the Autossomal red is not fully understood . we don t know we can t remove the red chest from a silver duckwing hen
chooks man

IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1542_LI.jpg

we finished the frame work for coops .next step we put the doors ,the mesh wire and the tin sheets .. the breeding coop will be 8 feets long and 3.5 feets deep and 7 feets high .
the tin area is where they will be roosting and nest boxes . mesh area middle is for air and the big door . easier for me to go inside and clean ( had enough from the small doors)
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom