@wrathsfarm here’s my evaluation of Joanie:

Type, Carriage & Table Merit: 28/40

Size and quality: 18/20

Colour and Markings: 10/15

Head: 8/10

Condition: 9/10

Legs and Feet: 3/5

Total: 76/100

I think you may have had Chooksmans’ and others’ comments on her before, but if you want me to explain just ask and I’ll edit this post.

I can’t really judge Copper from the two photos here, but her head is 9-10/10.

@wrathsfarm here’s my evaluation of Joanie:

Type, Carriage & Table Merit: 28/40

Size and quality: 18/20

Colour and Markings: 10/15

Head: 8/10

Condition: 9/10

Legs and Feet: 3/5

Total: 76/100

I think you may have had Chooksmans’ and others’ comments on her before, but if you want me to explain just ask and I’ll edit this post.

I can’t really judge Copper from the two photos here, but her head is 9-10/10.
By all means, explain away. Give your color shade # guess also. Here's her egg color, my darkest layer + twice broody now + head hen and just to recap, Angel (daughter, King x Joannie) was @Chooksman favorite. Now that it's Kong x Joannie the only 2 boys (7 wk olds) I have are from her but over colored in the chest which we knew that was probably going to happen, but the pullets are looking like Copper. So my assessment is Kong x Joannie could be just a possible good pullet line only cross until I get these Kong x Betty (all black) eggs hatched and evaluate them boys.
But no matter what, Joannie stays, she's not a cull even if I stop using her to breed.
IMG_20231230_103412.jpg
IMG_20240103_124152.jpg

By all means, explain away. Give your color shade # guess also. Here's her egg color, my darkest layer + twice broody now + head hen and just to recap, Angel (daughter, King x Joannie) was @Chooksman favorite. Now that it's Kong x Joannie the only 2 boys (7 wk olds) I have are from her but over colored in the chest which we knew that was probably going to happen, but the pullets are looking like Copper. So my assessment is Kong x Joannie could be just a possible good pullet line only cross until I get these Kong x Betty (all black) eggs hatched and evaluate them boys.
But no matter what, Joannie stays, she's not a cull even if I stop using her to breed.
View attachment 3842671View attachment 3842673
I’d call it a 6. Lovely looking eggs, a mice red shade and speckles are always a treat. I’ll explain the score in a while when I get chance.

Cull simply means you are not going to use her as a breeder. Moving her to the eating egg flock, keeping her as a pet, or a good reliable broody are all perfectly acceptable ways to cull a bird. It doesn’t have to end her life just that you’re not carrying the genetics further.

Cull simply means you are not going to use her as a breeder. Moving her to the eating egg flock, keeping her as a pet, or a good reliable broody are all perfectly acceptable ways to cull a bird. It doesn’t have to end her life just that you’re not carrying the genetics further.
Yes, I know and I didn't mean it to come off all "You better not talk bad about my chicken, or your gonna get it !!" 🤣

It did sound that way, tho.

On that theme can you imagine if someone came here and started talking bad about 'Lady' my Isa Brown. She's head hen of the mixed flock and the last remaining of our very first chickens.

"New information is coming to the news room over a fight occuring over a chicken, sources say one person has been injured and another is in custody....Film at 11." 🤪

On that theme can you imagine if someone came here and started talking bad about 'Lady' my Isa Brown. She's head hen of the mixed flock and the last remaining of our very first chickens.

"New information is coming to the news room over a fight occuring over a chicken, sources say one person has been injured and another is in custody....Film at 11." 🤪
Say anything about Blue and I’ll let him decide what to do with you. He’s infertile, unnecessarily aggressive, 16 pounds in weight and eats almost half a pound of food a day, but he was my first chicken and he’s staying.

You learn to be more clinical as you get more chickens, but you still have favourites deep down.

Say anything about Blue and I’ll let him decide what to do with you. He’s infertile, unnecessarily aggressive, 16 pounds in weight and eats almost half a pound of food a day, but he was my first chicken and he’s staying.

You learn to be more clinical as you get more chickens, but you still have favourites deep down.
Well said...... 👍

Funny how seriously attached you can get to some of these feathered creatures.

A couple weeks ago I lost the last bird from my original flock. I raised her myself from a tiny chick. Her name was Mama Bird, my first broody. She was an 11 yr old Buff Orp. I so hated to loose her.

I have 2 other lap babies, Dixie and her sister Dot. They are 10 yr old Cream Legbars. Each have given me a few pretty blue eggs this year!

I have several pet retired birds.
They go no where!

Yes, I know and I didn't mean it to come off all "You better not talk bad about my chicken, or your gonna get it !!" 🤣
It sounded pretty serious to me! :gig

Back
Top Bottom