Intestinal bacteria

Boy, that sounds frustrating! I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I'd be at my wits' end, too.

My chickens have not needed antibiotics so far (knock on wood!), but I know from having a son who is allergic to most antibiotics that knowing exactly what strain you're dealing with helps figure out what antibiotic to use. I think that's what folks are asking. Which strain of cocci are you dealing with? There are so many, and they all suck! :mad:

The folks you're getting help from have coached me through caring for several of my chickens over the years. They know what they are talking about.

It sounds like you've done exactly what you should do to fight off bad bacteria. I wonder if it's something in the environment? Like in the soil?

I hope you can solve this! It would be driving me crazy....

Boy, that sounds frustrating! I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I'd be at my wits' end, too.

My chickens have not needed antibiotics so far (knock on wood!), but I know from having a son who is allergic to most antibiotics that knowing exactly what strain you're dealing with helps figure out what antibiotic to use. I think that's what folks are asking. Which strain of cocci are you dealing with? There are so many, and they all suck! :mad:

The folks you're getting help from have coached me through caring for several of my chickens over the years. They know what they are talking about.

It sounds like you've done exactly what you should do to fight off bad bacteria. I wonder if it's something in the environment? Like in the soil?

I hope you can solve this! It would be driving me crazy....
That's why we did that last round of anti biotics because we thought, maybe, she was getting reinfected. That was about 3 months after the second round, I think. But, since it's super cold, now.... I just feel like I've tried everything. Haven't done a test for the specific bacteria, yet. All I now, right now, is gram negative rods and gram positive "cocci". I would have thought, for $100, it would have been more specific: /

That's why we did that last round of anti biotics because we thought, maybe, she was getting reinfected. That was about 3 months after the second round, I think. But, since it's super cold, now.... I just feel like I've tried everything. Haven't done a test for the specific bacteria, yet. All I now, right now, is gram negative rods and gram positive "cocci". I would have thought, for $100, it would have been more specific: /
Good grief! I applaud that you're still trying. I've seen people give up after less.

Attachments

• 20200729_165234.jpg
    20200729_165234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Hm.

At this point I would consider switching feed. It seems like the root problem is her intestines are unhappy and therefore producing the blood and mucous. If the problem is what's coming out ... it's time to change what's going IN.

Yes, I believe they had cocci when young, I think they were around 2 months and I did treat. When I say "I believe", they had something, I treated with corrid, it went away.
This I asked to see if had ever been bad enough to cause necritis to intestines.. cause poor performance and hence MAYBE the issue types you are seeing.. Usually though vitamin deficit would be more probably than bacterial issues.. BUT I'm no scientist.

And the question I missed...yes, they are marek vaccinated, assuming the hatchery did it when asked.
I also question if Marek's might be the source of the actual problem.. reducing vigor and allowing bacterial issues??

You Might consider ordering a kit and sending it in for testing.

Me personally.. the 9 year old gal.. proves you've done something RIGHT.. The one year old gal is inviting illness, disease, parasites, and predation upon the other 3.. Euthanasia MIGHT be the kind thing to do for the gal constantly facing issues and being treated, your other flock members, and EVEN yourself, and your resources..

You've sought veterinary help.. several times.. they are human, make mistakes, and continue to learn like us.. they are just ruling things out to the best of their ability. It's tough to have been worrying about and caring for an animal long term.. makes us feel very connected to them and their will to live!

My TRUE/honest thought is hidden disease bringing down the immune system..

I just found this typed but unposted don't know how long ago it was intended..

Since you used corid, I recommend SMZ-TMP or sulfadimethoxine to treat coccidiosis. Metronidazole will not treat it.
Coccidia protozoa is NOT what's being treated for.. has been clarified in the first post and several times since then.. Unless I'm missing something?? Did they ever yet share WHICH drugs were used already?? :confused:

Which strain of cocci are you dealing with?
Cocci is plural for Coccus bacteria. (spherical, rod, or spiral shaped).

Coccidia.. a protozoa are too often shortened as cocci.. There are 9 - 11 strains of coccidia known to effect chickens.

I know you probably already recognize this.. and posting for anybody else who might see it.. Please.. folks lets start using full correct terms and keeping things straight. :highfive:

This I asked to see if had ever been bad enough to cause necritis to intestines.. cause poor performance and hence MAYBE the issue types you are seeing.. Usually though vitamin deficit would be more probably than bacterial issues.. BUT I'm no scientist.

I also question if Marek's might be the source of the actual problem.. reducing vigor and allowing bacterial issues??

Me personally.. the 9 year old gal.. proves you've done something RIGHT.. The one year old gal is inviting illness, disease, parasites, and predation upon the other 3.. Euthanasia MIGHT be the kind thing to do for the gal constantly facing issues and being treated, your other flock members, and EVEN yourself, and your resources..

You've sought veterinary help.. several times.. they are human, make mistakes, and continue to learn like us.. they are just ruling things out to the best of their ability. It's tough to have been worrying about and caring for an animal long term.. makes us feel very connected to them and their will to live!

Coccidia protozoa is NOT what's being treated for.. has been clarified in the first post and several times since then.. Unless I'm missing something?? Did they ever yet share WHICH drugs were used already?? :confused:

Coccidia.. a protozoa are too often shortened as cocci.. There are 9 - 11 strains of coccidia known to effect chickens.

I know you probably already recognize this.. and posting for anybody else who might see it.. Please.. folks lets start using full correct terms and keeping things straight. :highfive:
I was asking what the vet found: staph or strep. But I'm clearly stupid. I will refrain from speaking about it and leave it to experts to discuss.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's that "cocci" word again lol. The only drug mentioned was Metronidazole and that's all.
I havnt dealt with Marek's neither, so anything is possible the way I see it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom