Mills83

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
Hi I'm Heather
New mum to a human baby (8 months) and 2 aylesbury ducklings they hatched 5th april.

I brought home 3, but We have sadly lost one a few days ago, one is really small and one is huge..

We are now worried about the small duckling as she doesn't appear to be gaining weight.

They have unlimited access to Dodson and horrell chick crumbs and water.

Very active, however doesn't seem to spend much time under heat pad but house is warm. They look like they are trying to eat the wood shavings!!??

Can anyone give me some.tips please. Thank you

Welcome to BYC. I would provide Niacin supplementation. Do an on site search on 'Niacin supplementation ducklings'.
Thank you. I have joined z group on Facebook and they've said thr same thing! I have brewers yeast in the house now and have just started adding it. Many thanks

If you have access to a feed formulated for ducks that would be preferred as chick crumbles contain low amounts of niacin, which for a heavyweight breed such as an Aylesbury is very vital for proper bone development. If you choose to use brewers yeast as a supplement you must ensure the product has adequate amounts of niacin.

If you are witnessing the ducklings attempting to eat the shavings, it would be best to switch to a material they cant eat easily such as towels, or puppy pee pads until there is an association of what bedding is, and what feed is.

It is not totally uncommon to receive a duckling that is not growing at the same rate at others; oftentimes, this can be due to lack of absorption of the yolk sac, stress, or sometimes electrolyte/fluid deficits. Poultry vitamins can often prove beneficial so you may try acquiring one and give the duck a drop or two a day over treats or drip a drop along its bill. Warm mashed scrambled eggs are a good source of protein, and vitamins and may encourage the duckling to eat.

If you have access to a feed formulated for ducks that would be preferred as chick crumbles contain low amounts of niacin, which for a heavyweight breed such as an Aylesbury is very vital for proper bone development. If you choose to use brewers yeast as a supplement you must ensure the product has adequate amounts of niacin.

If you are witnessing the ducklings attempting to eat the shavings, it would be best to switch to a material they cant eat easily such as towels, or puppy pee pads until there is an association of what bedding is, and what feed is.

It is not totally uncommon to receive a duckling that is not growing at the same rate at others; oftentimes, this can be due to lack of absorption of the yolk sac, stress, or sometimes electrolyte/fluid deficits. Poultry vitamins can often prove beneficial so you may try acquiring one and give the duck a drop or two a day over treats or drip a drop along its bill. Warm mashed scrambled eggs are a good source of protein, and vitamins and may encourage the duckling to eat.
This is very helpful thank you! I am struggling to know where to get poultry specific things from other than online. I will ask some local people. 😃

Back
Top Bottom