Introduce a new duck

Kiki to Nana

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2016
Fowlerville, Michigan
Hello!

My girlfriend is considering rescuing a 6-8 week old black swedish drake. We already have two females (black swedish) that are 7 months old.

I'm looking for any advice from people who are more experienced, we are still learning and don't want to do anything that would harm our babies.

Thank you!

Hello!

My girlfriend is considering rescuing a 6-8 week old black swedish drake. We already have two females (black swedish) that are 7 months old.

I'm looking for any advice from people who are more experienced, we are still learning and don't want to do anything that would harm our babies.

Thank you!
Having 2 girls to 1 drake is not bad. They need to be able to spread the love around because they can be pretty rough on just 1 female. You'll have to introduce them slowly though because of age difference.

@Kiki to Nana

We dont have any interest in them mating, we prefer to not let it happen since we don't want anymore but that seems unavoidable. Any suggestions on how we would introduce them? Our ducks are very friendly with squirrel's and even the neighbors dog they grew up around, not sure how the response would be to a drake. We are just concerned it may not work out and we would have displace this poor guy for the 3rd time.

@Miss Lydia

Last edited:
We dont have any interest in them mating, we prefer to not let it happen since we don't want anymore but that seems unavoidable. Any suggestions on how we would introduce them? Our ducks are very friendly with squirrel's and even the neighbors dog they grew up around, not sure how the response would be to a drake. We are just concerned it may not work out and we would have displace this poor guy for the 3rd time.

@Miss Lydia
You may not have an interest in them mating but they will. LOL to keep ducklings from over populating here I go inside their house as soon as I open their door in the morning and collect their eggs. No ducklings that way. Best way to introduce is to put them side by side with fencing in between and let them meet that way. After they have been like that [might take a week maybe not] you let them out together with treats being offered. The girls may beat up on the drake since he is so young.You'll just have to supervise their time together for a while. He won't be interested in mating for a while. It take a bit of time but they should eventually become 1 flock. Pics when you can!!
and Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
My success story......I have never had to separate DUCKS.....I free range during the meeting.....Some neck tying and quacking and it has always gone great..........Set up some fun bowls of water and toss out some Romaine lettuce....So busy they quickly forget about each other......

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies, if we do end up getting him we will be sure to post photos and take your guidance.

@Miss Lydia
What do you do with the eggs after you retrieve them?
Eat some give some away and my dogs love them scrambled. lol Once you bake with duck eggs you'll never use a chicken egg again.

Thanks for the help! What are your thoughts on medicated chick feed. I fed my 2 girls non medicated but I won't have time to go to the feed store before we get our other guy. (It's a gooday hour drive)

Thanks for the help! What are your thoughts on medicated chick feed. I fed my 2 girls non medicated but I won't have time to go to the feed store before we get our other guy. (It's a gooday hour drive)
I've never used medicated feed on any of my poultry.. He will be old enough that he is most likely been on the ground for quite a while that will help build his immune system up.

When I have ducklings or chicks I will cut a hunk of soil and bring it in for them to play in that also helps build their immune system up.

@Kiki to Nana are you saying all you have is medicated? it should be fine to use until you can get something else.

Last edited:
Yeah ill have to use medicated for a few days.. the pet stores sell it around us but they don't sell un medicated. So until I can get it i was hoping that would be ok. KiKi and NANA eat oats now that they're older but he's still a little guy and I'm not sure how he was eating before so I Wana make sure he had the protein he needs and I'll be adding some brewers yeast! Unfortunately don't think he was eating the correct things :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom