Introducing adult ducks to adult ducks

Emlpz_

Chirping
May 11, 2021
Hey all, before I get into what this thread is about, let me give you some background. About two weeks ago, I asked on here what I could do in the situation I was in... having three drakes and one hen, I somehow managed to find a lady who would take in two of my males in a 25-acre farm they wanted to expand. they had a huge pond and small kids so I was very fortunate to find them such an ideal forever home. Now two weeks later, I have noticed my Pekin pair seem lonely and bored.Sooo I began the long hunt for two female Pekin ducks not too far away and around my ducks' age. I found a lady about an hour away needing to rehome her two females that are just a month older than mine and we have scheduled a day to meet. I have read many contradicting things online and wanted an experienced duck owner's opinion! How should I introduce the ducks? Iv'e read to quarantine the new ducks but let them see the others; and also to let the new and old ducks meet in new turf along with other ideas. So do I let them come into contact or no?! I have so many questions but thought I should start here, Thanks! (PS the new ducks are 4 months, mine are 3)

I have introduced adult ducks to adult ducks twice.

The first time it went great the 2 existing ducks accepted the 3 incoming ducks like they had always belonged and they became an instant happy flock.

The second time the 5 existing ducks immediately rejected the 1 incoming duck and pecked at her for weeks. They eventually stopped pecking, but never welcomed her into the flock, she was always an outsider following the others around but never welcomed into the middle.

I didn't do the look but no touch method for either and I wish I had. Also, the second introduction was very stressful as the family had small children who stressed out my flock by running around and shouting. My birds might have associated all that stress with the new duck. I should have protected them better.

But, my biggest failure was not having a quarantine period. The first ducks were abandoned rescues from a pond living with mallards, and the second duck was a pet living part time on a lake with mallards. One of these introductions brought internal parasites, external parasites, and at least one virus into my flock - according to my avian veterinarian.

If the person you are getting the ducks from has good biosecurity practices and no exposure to wild mallards it might not be a big concern.

I have introduced adult ducks to adult ducks twice.

The first time it went great the 2 existing ducks accepted the 3 incoming ducks like they had always belonged and they became an instant happy flock.

The second time the 5 existing ducks immediately rejected the 1 incoming duck and pecked at her for weeks. They eventually stopped pecking, but never welcomed her into the flock, she was always an outsider following the others around but never welcomed into the middle.

I didn't do the look but no touch method for either and I wish I had. Also, the second introduction was very stressful as the family had small children who stressed out my flock by running around and shouting. My birds might have associated all that stress with the new duck. I should have protected them better.

But, my biggest failure was not having a quarantine period. The first ducks were abandoned rescues from a pond living with mallards, and the second duck was a pet living part time on a lake with mallards. One of these introductions brought internal parasites, external parasites, and at least one virus into my flock - according to my avian veterinarian.

If the person you are getting the ducks from has good biosecurity practices and no exposure to wild mallards it might not be a big concern.
Interesting how different ducks react! I guess once I've quarantined for a bit they'll be used to each other and be accepting, thank you for your input!

UPDATE: it’s been over two months and both pairs of ducks live happily together. One of the new girls is the lead hen and sometimes intimidates my drake Dimitri🤣. They fought the first two days together after quarantine but after that the new girls walked right into the big duck house! They all follow me to the front yard to free range, they’re a happy family now.

Attachments

• 3AB8275C-A35A-4CF4-8EFE-C930B8272337.jpeg
    3AB8275C-A35A-4CF4-8EFE-C930B8272337.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 334C83A2-F1C9-42EA-AFC5-28E33F282723.jpeg
    334C83A2-F1C9-42EA-AFC5-28E33F282723.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom