Introducing chickens

AshliMal

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Hi!
First I brought home 2 beautiful Silkie Girls (18 months old). It was suppose to be 3 but the third had brand new babies with her and we have restrictions in the area we live, we are only allowed chickens 4+ months. So we agreed to get her once her babies were old enough, she ended up using her for another couple months to hatch some eggs, we said that was fine. Then after a while I added two lovely silkie Pullets (7-9 months old). Quarantined, then left them behind a wire panel for 2 days, my son accidentally didn’t close the panel all the way, they all mixed together and other than a tiny bit of pecking here and there it went off with out a hitch! So we brought home 3rd chicken from original purchase, quarantined for a month, and she is now behind the wire panel. I am getting the feeling that she may have been head hen, and then I have a head hen already and they are doing a small amount of fighting through the wire. Nothing too bad, lots of clucking and puffing their feathers. After a few days I let them out to free range together, again a small amount of fighting. No blood or anything. No noises really. The other three chickens completely stay out of it. No issues there. I have been breaking it up. Just wondering if I should let them try to figure it out?
It isn’t too bad, lots of jumping, and a bit of grabbing eachother’s crests. A couple feathers lost but no blood.
thanks!!

Thank you! Is there a point where I should step in?

Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Back
Top Bottom