Introducing hen to flock

mrspeepersmom

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I have a 3 month old hen that I am trying to introduce to my two five-month old hens. I have tried to gradually introduce the younger one by giving them time to roam around together outside and keeping them separated by chicken wire in the coop. A few days ago I went for it and allowed them to intermingle in the coop. Shortly thereafter the youngest hen started getting attacked as the other two hens pecked on her. It was violent and hard to watch. What should I do? Is it possible for them all to get along and live under the same roof??

leaving them to it will probably sort things out, they have to work out the pecking order,, just keep your eye on them for now, they should soon sort it out
fl.gif

Well...some pecking is normal, but I'd watch to make sure she's not getting cornered/blood drawn. Ample space in the run/coop will help, as will making sure there are two feeders set far apart - water bowls too. Adding roosts/stumps/distractors in the run will help too.
If one hen in particular is being really nasty, you can separate the nasty hen (put HER behind the wire barrier) and try the newbie with the milder hen. Of course if both older pullets are equally aggressive, then that won't work. But YES, they can and will (most likely) get along eventually...it just takes time, some flocks moreso than others.

Thank you for your posts. I placed the younger hen with one of the others and separated the more aggressive one. So far it seems to be going ok. When this relationships seems to be established, should I put all three together or should I put the younger one with the more aggressive hen?

If you can, keep the more aggressive girl separate for about a week, then add her back in. Hopefully the newbie will have developed a relationship with the other one and the meanie will have lost some power (bullies almost always act more assertive when they have their flunkies with them).
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom