Introducing my new duckling to others

Daisgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Hi. I have a single duckling who is now coming up to 4 weeks old. It has been kept in the kitchen until now and i have two Indian runners both 14 weeks old. When I first tried to introduce the new duckling to them about a week ago, they chased and pecked it and the duckling was terrified.
barnie.gif

I have since tried again and although they were not quite as vicious as they were, they still chase it. I can't see how I am going to get them to accept the little one. This is the only option I have is them living together due to space.

Any suggestions please or do I keep doing what I am doing and keep showing them to each other under supervision.
idunno.gif

Hi. I have a single duckling who is now coming up to 4 weeks old. It has been kept in the kitchen until now and i have two Indian runners both 14 weeks old. When I first tried to introduce the new duckling to them about a week ago, they chased and pecked it and the duckling was terrified.
barnie.gif

I have since tried again and although they were not quite as vicious as they were, they still chase it. I can't see how I am going to get them to accept the little one. This is the only option I have is them living together due to space.

Any suggestions please or do I keep doing what I am doing and keep showing them to each other under supervision.
idunno.gif
Can you make the youngest a fenced area of it own so it can be with the others and vise versa with out confrontation? it's about the best way to integrate.
Even if you still have to bring it back in for the night till it's completely feathered in, just give it a dog Xpen or make some thing it can hang out in close to where the others are walking around, and a lil something like a dog crate for it to get into for safety during the day. These things take time but eventually you should be able to put them all together when giving Treats and then work from there to complete integration. They look at lil one as in intruder it looks at them as axe murders.

You are so right about the murderers! It comes running to me and guides behind my legs! I think when I let v the ducks b out v of their pen I will put the little one in it. So they can see each other and take it from there. As always brilliant advice, thank you :) x

You are so right about the murderers! It comes running to me and guides behind my legs! I think when I let v the ducks b out v of their pen I will put the little one in it. So they can see each other and take it from there. As always brilliant advice, thank you
smile.png
x
thumbsup.gif
Keep us updated on how it goes.

So far so good. Lucky ducky is fenced off from the other two and has finally stopped running around and screaming as if he is going to be put on the dinner table! He is quite calm up against the fence near them. Next step is to let him out tomorrow and watch carefully. They don't seem so agitated around him now so fingers crossed!

So far so good. Lucky ducky is fenced off from the other two and has finally stopped running around and screaming as if he is going to be put on the dinner table! He is quite calm up against the fence near them. Next step is to let him out tomorrow and watch carefully. They don't seem so agitated around him now so fingers crossed!
First day at kinder garden is so scary.
smile.png
do you have a favorite treat they all like? mine go bonkers for dried meal worms when putting them together for treat time make sure it's something they love so they will spend their time scarfing up the treats off the ground instead of wanting to pick on the new baby. Hoping it goes smoothly.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom