Introducing myself and my chooks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aussie-Chookmum, Apr 20, 2019.

1. I consider myself a newbie.

Although I first adopted two Isa Brown hens in 2013 there's lots I don't know. I found The Back Yard Chicken website a few weeks ago and hope to pick all of you lovely people's brains!

I currently have two 2&1/2 year old hens. Tsuki, a leghorn and Deana, a Rhode Island Red. Last month we adopted two chicks who are now six weeks old. Alice, an Araucana and Edwina, an olive egger. We are following BYC's advice on introducing them to my older hens and have set up a new run for them next to the old one which the baby chicks will be moving into in a couple of weeks.

I wanted to get chooks of my own to ensure that my eggs came from "happy chooks" as I couldn't be sure that even "Free range" chooks here in Australia were really having quality of life. The standards of "Free range" could be anything from out in an open field with plenty of sun, water and space, to running around in a crowded barn with hardly any elbow room. On top of that, the company that markets the free range eggs also sells eggs from battery hens! :-(

My family currently has 3 dogs that are used to my older hens and don't bother them when they are out of their pen and pecking around the garden. When the baby chicks are bigger and not "peeping" like a squeaky toy any more I'll intoduce the dogs to them without a fence between. Under supervision of course!

I'm looking forward being part of this community and learning lots!

Aussie-Chookmum

fldiver97, Ribh, Texas Kiki and 10 others like this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Sounds like your chickens have a very good life.

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 5 others like this.
  3. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BYC has a large Aussie community, who participate throughout the site. There is also a thread "Australia, six states and one funny little Island. " So you can keep an eye on what is happening at home as well.:frow

fldiver97, rjohns39, Melky and 4 others like this.
  4. Thanks for the welcome Drumstick diva!
    I'm always wanting to improve their lives (without destroying my garden!) which is one of the reasons I'm here!
    :frow

I'll go hunting for that Aussie thread now, thanks for the heads up!

5. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are very welcome

fldiver97, rjohns39, Melky and 2 others like this.
  6. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    -byc-peeps-glitter.gif

hithere.gif Glad you joined! I also have 2 new chicks I'm starting to integrate right now... they're 3 weeks old. I like to move their brooder to the coop at 1-2 weeks and start supervised free range time together. My older girls are actually a little afraid of the little ones... so funny!
    This is my setup currently:
    20190418_125220.jpg 20190416_162610.jpg

Last year's chicks were on the main roost by 4-5 weeks:
    integrating-chicks.jpg

Everyone has their own idea of the right age to start integration, and you should always do what you're comfortable with. Here's the links I used to help me:
    Mama Heating Pad
    Integrating at 4 weeks old
    Start Raising Your Chicks Outdoors
    You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors

Best wishes with your flock!

7. That's brilliant FlappyFeathers! Thanks for the links. I love those ideas! They make a lot more sense than keeping chicks in brilliantly lit box 24/7!:thumbsup

I've bookmarked them for when I get chicks again.

Strangely enough I didn't like the heat lamp and have had them on a heating pad in a cardboard box inside a dog crate since I brought them home! They have outdoor time in a covered "playpen" with a rabbit hutch for shelter within sight of my hens during the day and go back to their "bedroom" at night.

I've almost finished their new run adjacent to my existing run and I will be moving them there 24/7 when they are fully fledged in a couple of weeks. If the weather stays mild they may even have some "sleepovers" in the playpen before that.

P.S. I admire your set up and that's a great picture of your hens and chicks! Thanks for sharing!

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:
    Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

10. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: