Introducing new chicks

asooomaa

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
Switzerland
Hi all
I want to buy 8 new 1-month pullets, can i put them in the coop with my flock ( 8 pullets 18 weeks old )
or should i separate them ??

thanks
big_smile.png
but why ??

They'll probably start fighting and they could really hurt each other. Better to introduce them very slowly or not at all.

I integrate mine but not at 4 weeks old. They are too young to defend themselves at this age if you just toss them all together.
I integrate mine by putting them out in the yard together during the day so they can get use to eachother around the yard first.
That way the younger ones can run off or hide if the older chickens start going after them, and they will.
I stay and watch them the first few times to make sure things don't get too bad.
I have had some meaner hens than others that will go after them more, chase them further and fight with them harder.
Then you have some hens that just want to flex their muscles and will chase the birds a few feet or away from the water or food bowls.
After a month or so of that and there are no more incidents then I put them all in the same coop.
They have to sort out the pecking order and it happens in every flock.

Back
Top Bottom