Introducing new muscovies to a flock?

DancingHen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Central Oregon Coast
I have two muscovy hens that I use for slug patrol in my gardens. They do a great job in about half the garden, but the other half of the garden has been neglected by them. Living in the Pacific Northwest we have a huge abundance of slugs, so I am assuming that they are finding all the food they want without having to range deeper into the garden. So I am thinking about adding two more muscovy hens to the garden in the spring to see if they cover more ground that way. I know that introducing new hens to an existing chicken flock can be a pain, but I have never tried to introduce any new ducks to my girls. Can any more experienced muscovy/duck owners share their experience with me regarding introducing muscovy hens to one another? I would be wanting to add 2 more hens that are already old enough to be sure of gender and to free range the gardens. My ducks current housing situation is a 40 square foot wood duck house they sleep in at night, and access to forage in a half acre fenced garden all day. Thanks in advance for any input.

You shouldnt have any issues with adding new hens. They may go through a brief pecking order run but I cant see any other issues
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom