1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Wisher1000, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have been considering introducing a mature peahen to my 4 month old to provide her some company of her own kind and to make the transition to another farm a bit easier. My idea is to borrow a hen from the farm where she is going and keeping them together a while so that when they both go to the other farm, the borrowed one will be familiar with the place and can calm the other. How long does it usually take to introduce a new bird? Can I expect the same reaction as from chickens? Should I leave the adoptive mother hen (chicken) in there with them or should I take the hen out?

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    In my experience, peafowl are a lot nicer to new birds added than chickens are. When I had a chicken hatch a pea egg, I left the two together for the summer. When it started getting cold out I put the chicken hen and the baby pea in with the babies parents (they never met before that point). The adults accepted the two without any problems. Chickens are just nasty to new birds.

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Oh! That's good to know!

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    This is great to hear.
    I would like to put a pair or trio of OEGB in the pen with a pair of peas since the pen will be 10x30. I had thought bantam Cochin but those young boys can be hormonal! I don't want anything to bother the peas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by