Introducing the Ideal Dozen

Pics
I put them on my lap while sitting in a chair.

I was sitting on a bucket in the door of the brooder with the chick tucked in between my arm and my ribs. I suppose I'm very much afraid of squashing them.

It went easier with the 8-week-old Splits, who got tucked into a football hold with me managing the bird and my 15yo, who had gotten home by then, doing the bands.

They are three weeks today and I'm pondering turning off the heat lamp completely since lows aren't going below 70 for the next several days. They were loosely under the 60w lamp this morning but have been mostly hanging out and even sleeping well away from it.

Undecided.

I'll be catching them for individual portraits and rebanding of the ones who have lost their bands.

I plugged in the lamp and won't be unplugging it for a bit yet. As you will see in the upcoming portraits, 2 of the 3 Langshans are still very downy and unfeathered.

After their handling, re-banding for the ones who'd lost them, and photo sessions I made more mash and they went crazy for it -- eating off my fingers and even stepping into my hand. DS#3, the owner of the cochins, got a few sprigs of sourgrass and the ones who couldn't get to the mash devoured sourgrass from his hands.

0609211922.jpg

0609211923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom