Introducing two flocks

J&Kfeatheredfowl

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
Mansfield
Hey guys! It's Katie here... As some of you may know I have two cockerells and some people reccomended introducing them to each other and combining the flock...

But how on earth do I do that without one killing the other?

It would make sense to pull down the fence separating them both, and having one large flock would be great. Much more room, and it would mean more chickens and ducks.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, it all really depends on how the two cockerells would get along.

Any advice on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hey guys! It's Katie here... As some of you may know I have two cockerells and some people reccomended introducing them to each other and combining the flock...

But how on earth do I do that without one killing the other?

It would make sense to pull down the fence separating them both, and having one large flock would be great. Much more room, and it would mean more chickens and ducks.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet, it all really depends on how the two cockerells would get along.

Any advice on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
How many pullets/hens do you have? That is one key factor in determining if it will work. Also, how much room? Is there somewhere for them to hide if they need to? Plenty of perch space? Another thing to keep in mind is that it won't just be the cockerels that will be fighting-- the pullets/hen will fight, too, until a new pecking order is established.

How many pullets/hens do you have? That is one key factor in determining if it will work. Also, how much room? Is there somewhere for them to hide if they need to? Plenty of perch space? Another thing to keep in mind is that it won't just be the cockerels that will be fighting-- the pullets/hen will fight, too, until a new pecking order is established.
I have 5 hens, a cockerel and 5 ducks in one pen. In another I have 4 hens and a cockerel.

There's more than enough room right now. Because the pen without the ducks is quite new, there's room for about 4 more hens in there and a couple more in the other one.

If I was to pull the fence down and buy more hens then there would be about 15 hens. I have two separate sheds and a run so theres enough room for everybody to sleep.

The ducks have a little box where they sleep in the run, but now it's getting warmer they tend to sleep outside on the floor.

In my main run I also have ramps and perches alongside the walls of the pen to keep them entertained.

My main concern is if its too risky. I dont want to put any of my chickens or ducks in danger

The attachment to a single bird should not over-ride the flocks harmony.
2 males may be ok, but often is not what happens.
Always be ready with separate crate or enclosure to isolate one of those males,
cause if and when it goes ugly, it happens fast.

You're talking about integrating 2 flocks and 2 cockerels...will be challenging.
Then you also mention adding four more hens....another challenge.
Not sure if you plan to do both those things at once... or one before the other?

How many hens(over 1 year old)?
How many pullets(under 1 year old)?

Both cockerels are under a year old?

Any hens will kick some cockerel butt

The attachment to a single bird should not over-ride the flocks harmony.
2 males may be ok, but often is not what happens.
Always be ready with separate crate or enclosure to isolate one of those males,
cause if and when it goes ugly, it happens fast.

You're talking about integrating 2 flocks and 2 cockerels...will be challenging.
Then you also mention adding four more hens....another challenge.
Not sure if you plan to do both those things at once... or one before the other?

How many hens(over 1 year old)?
How many pullets(under 1 year old)?

Both cockerels are under a year old?

Any hens will kick some cockerel butt
2 hens are under a year old. One of the cockerells is under a year old and the other is about 3 years.

Personally I would like the 3year old one to be dominantd as he's alot more well mannered than the other.

I've never had a problem with introducing new hens before, but the cockerells are completely new territory.

And I do have a separate run inside our pen. Could putting our younger rooster in there make the transition smoother?

If I read it right, it seems like the two roosters are penned next to each other as of now. So if they are not fighting through the fence, that is a good sign.

However, with the birds you have two roosters is one too many. So my advice, is keep it like you have it, if it is working. Separate pens, separate flocks. Add more hens to both flocks if you want.

With two roosters it may go bad. Some will fight bloody through a fence, some never fight. It is a crap shoot. If it does, you probably will need to cull a rooster. All one can do with multiple roosters, is be set up so that if things do go badly, one can stop it.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom