Too many roosters?

ManedWolf

Chirping
Jan 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
I recently posted a thread showing pictures of my newest flock members, 5 week old Wyandottes and Opringtons. The consensus was that I most likely have 2 Wyandotte cockerels. Additionally, I have a 2 year old Buff Orpington rooster.
The rooster is separated from the hens, he lives in his own run bordering the hen's run. He seems happy and the rest of the flock is very happy they don't have to deal with him.
I don't know what to do with the new cockerels. I don't have the heart to cull them in the future, and it's terribly hard to give them away. My question is, do you think everyone would be happy if these two cockerels got their own run (together, or two separate runs, depending on how well they get along)? My original rooster's happiness comes first, would he be stressed with more roosters on the property?

I had 2 roosters last year, and the hen's laying seemed to slow down considerably. These roosters were separated from them then as well, so I have a hard time imagining the laying drop and multiple roosters are related.

Also, if these two cockerels never get introduced to hens, how will their behavior be affected by that?

How many hens do you have? It’s possible that your adult rooster will get along with the two cockerels if they’re introduced to each other early enough.

How many hens do you have? It’s possible that your adult rooster will get along with the two cockerels if they’re introduced to each other early enough.
I have 22 hens. My rooster has a good history when I comes to getting along with other roosters, so that gives me hope! What age do you suggest I introduce the cockerels to him? I know 8-12 weeks is an ideal age to introduce chickens to the rest of the flock, but I didn't know if roosters are different because they're bigger and more aggressive (I don't consider mine aggressive though, but he is an animal so there's always a chance).

I have 22 hens. My rooster has a good history when I comes to getting along with other roosters, so that gives me hope! What age do you suggest I introduce the cockerels to him? I know 8-12 weeks is an ideal age to introduce chickens to the rest of the flock, but I didn't know if roosters are different because they're bigger and more aggressive (I don't consider mine aggressive though, but he is an animal so there's always a chance).
Once they’re in the 8-12 week range, I would let him see them but not touch them and see how they react to each other. Is there a reason you don’t want to keep the cockerels with the hens? 2 roosters should work fine with 22 hens.

It depends on how many hens you have and how much space you have. I have around 30 hens/pullets and four roosters/cockerels that get along fine so far but they’re fully free range and are only cooped up at night. Even while free ranging I tried to stick to the 1 to 10 rooster to hen ratio but… I can’t say no to chicks in need of help even if they are definitely a cockerel 😅

Back
Top Bottom