Introduction For Me

blackfishfin

Chirping
May 16, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I am very new to chickens. We got them about a month ago. They are all 1 month old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have six chickens right now. Unfortunately, at least three of them are roosters. We are going to be getting rid of two of them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
They are all bantam. Three of them have feathered legs and the rest don't.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love the chicks! They love me. They sit on my shoulder and on my lap. When they're outside, I sit out there with them and whenever they sit on my hands, I put them in my shirt and warm them up. Now they purposefully squeeze their way into my shirt to get warm. We also have guineas. The guineas HATE me and I don't know why. Whenever I reach into their cage to change their water or clean it out, they peck at my hand. I think they're adorable and I love their sounds. I also like how they all line up in rows to eat bugs and stuff. They're like cute little soldiers. I'm trying to get them to like me. They don't seem to mind me when I'm not trying to touch them, and they even eat worms out of my hand when I give it to them, but they don't like me and it makes me very sad. :(

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love pretty much anything that has to do with art or animals.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have one dog named Penny. I have two guinea pigs named Mayo and Feather. My dog is really interested in the birds and it scares me. I heard that if she kills one of the birds, we could tie it to her neck for a week and she wouldn't do it again. I'm not opposed to this idea, but poor thing! I'm praying that she doesn't kill one of the birds.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I had a lot of questions about my birds. A lot of people here seemed very friendly and I learned a lot. I finally decided to make an account to ask questions that aren't already on here.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The "tying the dead bird to the killer dog's neck" worked for our lab that went on a killing spree with our muskovies when I was a kid, but I certainly wouldn't do that. I would take measures to prevent the kill happening in the the first place. I keep my flock safe from my dogs by keeping them contained within an electrified poultry netted pen. Two of my dogs ran at the chickens and hit the fence. Neither of them even so much as looks at the chickens any longer.

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Have you gotten your coop/run planned out yet?

If you have any interest, and have photos and plans/details of the coop you've built (or are going to build), there is a coop article contest going on right now! Here is a link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/official-byc-coop-page-contest-10.1293484/

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

Back
Top Bottom