Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 6, 2015.
I am giddy as making headway today on the barn project. Ground broken with vegetation removed from roadway and foundation plus we got the all important culvert in making access by dump truck and construction crew possible.
My son and I even drove the whole route with the pickup truck. He got to ride in the front seat! Normally we walk a considerably longer route pulling a small wagon. Son is pointing a tracks we just made.
My messing about in the weeds has gotten me bitten by a lot of something. I am not sure if chiggers as mild itching only. It may be from a toxic plant.
New barn definitely giddy making!
Gravel is now in place on roadways and barn foundation. Modest tweaking of drainage remains to be done. Seed and straw will be acquired to cover wounded ground. Plants of value to bees are going to be seeded heavily among the wheat and timothy. Barn is being fabricated at manufacturer. Hopefully it will be up within two weeks. I am trying to design pens that make good use of space. Sliding barn doors likely to be used. Feed storage and mixing area also be addressed.
The runs attached to pens will need some rethinking so they can be accessed annually with cultivation equipment. That aspect of run rotation will be used to control erosion and keep hens in greens for most of a given production cycle.
This will be last series of pictures until barn is constructed. Most show locations previously posted.
This is an approximation of barn to be constructed. It will be viewed from same angle when standing on porch of house. Barn will be open enabling direct sight of pen openings on left. A low power light will indicate whether power running to barn. Right side will serve as brooder and feed storage area with front section serving as the livery for sheep and goats.
Okay hon, not much makes Diet Coke come out my nose, but that did the trick Thanks for the chuckle!
Your barn plans look wonderful. No jealousy here......
This process is laying my birds open to bad things. Perimeter hotwire has huge gap allowing construction equipment. We took a big hit loosing about 2/3's of the eldest American Dominique cohort of this year. By luck best males survived but feathering will not be up to snuff for show in late October.
I'm so sorry for all the birds you lost!