Investing More In American Dominiques

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 6, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great pics!

Mantis morphs?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am giddy as making headway today on the barn project. Ground broken with vegetation removed from roadway and foundation plus we got the all important culvert in making access by dump truck and construction crew possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son and I even drove the whole route with the pickup truck. He got to ride in the front seat! Normally we walk a considerably longer route pulling a small wagon. Son is pointing a tracks we just made.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My messing about in the weeds has gotten me bitten by a lot of something. I am not sure if chiggers as mild itching only. It may be from a toxic plant.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    New barn definitely giddy making!

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Gravel is now in place on roadways and barn foundation. Modest tweaking of drainage remains to be done. Seed and straw will be acquired to cover wounded ground. Plants of value to bees are going to be seeded heavily among the wheat and timothy. Barn is being fabricated at manufacturer. Hopefully it will be up within two weeks. I am trying to design pens that make good use of space. Sliding barn doors likely to be used. Feed storage and mixing area also be addressed.

The runs attached to pens will need some rethinking so they can be accessed annually with cultivation equipment. That aspect of run rotation will be used to control erosion and keep hens in greens for most of a given production cycle.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This will be last series of pictures until barn is constructed. Most show locations previously posted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This is an approximation of barn to be constructed. It will be viewed from same angle when standing on porch of house. Barn will be open enabling direct sight of pen openings on left. A low power light will indicate whether power running to barn. Right side will serve as brooder and feed storage area with front section serving as the livery for sheep and goats.

[​IMG]

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Okay hon, not much makes Diet Coke come out my nose, but that did the trick [​IMG]Thanks for the chuckle!

Your barn plans look wonderful. No jealousy here......

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This process is laying my birds open to bad things. Perimeter hotwire has huge gap allowing construction equipment. We took a big hit loosing about 2/3's of the eldest American Dominique cohort of this year. By luck best males survived but feathering will not be up to snuff for show in late October.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm so sorry for all the birds you lost!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by