Investing More In American Dominiques

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Zone3Dakota

Zone3Dakota Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    that has to be a serious setback. It is sad, especially in contrast to the progress of finally getting a barn. It hasn't happened to me to lose a bunch of birds, but if I fly racing homers long enough, it will happen...sometimes for no apparent reason.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It happens and you have to be prepared for it. New barn will reduce ODDS such will not happen regularly. Brood fowl in this instance not harmed. I am setup so birds most likely to be lost and occupy predators until I can intervene are lower value / younger birds. We do same thing with other types of brood stock as they can allow you to bounce back quicker than having to re-select brood stock. Also having brood stock and other groups split up between multiple pens some distance apart also wise.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    More losses today, I will have to reboot effort with Missouri Dominiques. I also lost number two American Dominique cock. He threw good male offsrpring. Over last two hours I, frantically put up more hotwire and even made some pens hot. These are temporary fixes that obstruct my ability to get around, especially when light levels low. Dogs even challenged a dog pen trying to get at my best dom hens, It was time, not the pen that stopped them. That pen will make dogs dance, I tested it myself taking a couple jolts just to make certain all is good and hot.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is this happening because of perimeter fences being down for the barn construction, new pup, new canine preds or all 3?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Perimeter down and my main dog gone. Stop gap fencing did not hold as needed to be easy to take down which makes it permeable. Pup also a factor because he cannot do anything. I hope barn people get in here fast so I can put perimeter back up. If barn not to be here by early next week then all pens will be encircled by electrified poultry netting which will be very tight for me to get around in.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Frustrating.....but new barn will be worth it...hang in there.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Something worth noting about wounded birds surviving initial attack is that most have succumbed to fly strike. I have been trying to control this by moving birds indoors but flies seem to have deposited you within hours of the attacks. I was at least 6 hours later before finding what happened. My best Dominique cock came down with fly strike today making me think the flies are actually getting into the house. In a desperate effort to save him I cut off his right wing at the shoulder. I am also working on getting balance of maggots off of him. Neosporin was applied to cut, Fly strike like this is outside my experience.

If he survives he will have to be babied as he will be flightless.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    He bit the dust.

This outcome is forcing a shifting of emphasis from line-breeding on male side to female side which going to be tough when youngest hen will be 4 years old next year.

Hens will be split tonight to reduce odds all lost in a single event.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Fly strike stinks....literally and figuratively.....gotta flush, flush, flush the wound....catching it early is best, then treat like any other wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by