Investing More In American Dominiques

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Yuck, I have had a huge hit like your talking about. Perhaps not the numbers you have, but rather the % of the flock. It sucks. Best wishes! Once those #$%^&%$# predators find you, they are back. mk

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The fly strike may involve more than one type of fly. At least some of the flies are active at night which was really a surprise to me. This noted in part because of game played with owls. Also maggots are evident in less than 36 hours after birds wounded even though I can not find eggs. Maggots already large but not all that numerous. I wonder if some of the flies use live birth.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The worries will not be over until some time after barn is up. Then I will have to "tune" and patch holes that have to be pointed out by predators themselves.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Finally got date set. Barn installation will occur next Wednesday.

Core brood American Dominiques have been moved to what is normally used for quarantining games used for outreach activities associated with work. Location also used for observations on GHO's which appears to have fallen off. Juveniles may by in the process of being given the boot.

Normally fenced in area below has only 6 pens making so pens can be moved about multiple times before entire setup needs to be moved.

[​IMG]

Pens below show a way I get birds to help protect themselves at night. A milk crate is centrally located in each cage. Usually crates are overturned thus providing a low elevated roost. Alternative is having crate on side so hen can roost within it. This arrangement makes so a predator is not able to simply reach in to grab a bird.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am now trying to decide what pen design within the barn will be used to house the three flocks. Design #1 is based on 10 x 10 dog kennels where wall panels between pens will be shared. Design #2 is based on a customized setup made from treated lumber and 2" x 4" welded wire. Former is easier to setup and possibly adds more value to property while second is a lot cheaper when comes to materials and allows for a higher ceiling. I am relatively tall. Dog kennels I think would be better if I more dog problems in the future plus I would like the be able to confine female dogs in heat.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some of each?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I opted to use the fancier dog kennel option with ordering of three units as show below from our local Tractor Supply Store. It cost more than even the chain link version although my experience with two current chain link units makes me want to try something else.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/heavy-duty-welded-wire-kennel-10-ft-w-x-10-ft-l-x-6-ft-h

The TSC folks worked with me on price. Looks like order will be filled within 10 days.

Pens used for single mating's and holding of bachelor groups will be made of the custom option using 2 x 4 welded wire and treated lumber.

Electricity and feed storage / processing are next concerns. Incubator and brooder areas will require power, laying hens will need supplemental power and I very much want to be able to monitor the facility and its surroundings using webcams over the internet.

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I was trying to figure how to run an extension cord from breaker box of house. An unused circuit built in for eventual barn has capacity for 25 amps. A 100+ards from house is too far for even lower gauge extension cords. Actual amp draw likely to be less than five even at peak.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Barn itself now approximately 80% complete.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WHAT, no pic?!?! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by