Iridescent feathers

Pics
I am Green Jungle Fowl with envy. One would think that this is important to every chicken breeder..... and there seems to be a lot of chicken breeders scattered around. Everybody would want one. It smells like an opportunity for some entrepreneur to introduce them to the west.

I was able to find a scan of an old Ayam Bekisar breeding book(in Indonesian) that depicts the possible crosses.

View attachment 2933295

View attachment 2933296

The terms on that chart(from left to right)

Skema Persilangan Ayam Hutan Dan Ayam Kampung: Crossing Scheme of Jungle Fowl and Village Chicken

Ayam Kampung: Village Chicken/Domestic Chicken

Ayam Hutan: Ayam Hutan Hijau/Green Junglefowl

Bekisar: Ayam Bekisar/F1 hybrid of Green Junglefowl/Domestic Chicken

Bekikuk: Ayam Bekikuk/ First Backcross to domestic chicken

Bekisar Halus: Ayam Bekilus/ Fist Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Bekisar Super: Ayam Bekiper/ Second Backcross to Green Junglefowl

Mandul: Indonesian word for Sterile
Darah Baru: Indonesian word for New Blood
That was my original first goal too but I never had luck with Green Jungle Fowl. I’d love to add Green Jungle Fowl into the mix but I know even if I got lucky with them it would probably greatly reduce their fertility.

I am Green Jungle Fowl with envy. One would think that this is important to every chicken breeder..... and there seems to be a lot of chicken breeders scattered around. Everybody would want one. It smells like an opportunity for some entrepreneur to introduce them to the west.
That is correct, specially a Bantam sized one with blue dewlap and iridescent feathers.

I’ve got a bunch of good looking young birds but here’s one nice cockerel. Still young but looking good!
745BAA7C-B112-4F31-9C60-92F3A8B30054.jpeg
CBAA64F6-75B9-478C-A353-88C9652BE369.jpeg
22A2FE8C-77D9-46F9-8317-12F95F22FDC6.jpeg

This is a young bird that has really good iridescent color and a nice wet looking shine…but I hate the beard! I actually gave the hen away that was this bird’s mother and hopefully the new hen that’s with this bird’s father will produce similar birds that lack the beard. Not every bird from that pairing had the beard but they didn’t have color as good either. Still…if this bird is really spectacular the beard could be bred out.

Back
Top Bottom