Irritating Red Eye- 26 week sexlink hen

MikeG

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Roanoke, Va
Novice backyard owner with small (5 hens) flock.

Noticed the sexlink was moping- head down, both eyes are red and swollen, and she keeps them closed most often. This morning she was itching them and rubbing them on her wings and with her feet. She's not eating.

I've tried to follow some posts and it seems like terramycin with a saline flush-along with isolation/quarantine is the best method?

Any other suggestions?

This is day 2 that I've noticed it and no other hens seem affected.

Thanks.

I would isolate her. Bring her in and get her rehydrated. Try scrabbling her an egg. or maybe some plain yogurt with a little banana. Sounds like you've treated the eye as I would. Just work on food and fluids. Try using an eye dropper. Lets us know how she is doing!!
fl.gif

The local Agrisupply has Agrimycin powder in stock. They recommended that and an electrolyte booster (baking soda, salt, and honey diluted in their water). That and some yogurt.

They also suggested leaving the affected bird in with the flock-its been 2+ days so everyone has already been exposed. It is their philosophy that its better to be with 'family' when you're sick then all alone...

Thanks for the information. Will update-

Back
Top Bottom