is 1kg of food enough for 12 chickens for a day?

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
ok, were i live we are meant to have snow at the end of the week! and the hens will probabley sit inside (they hate snow) is 1kg of food enough for the hens aday they will also have about 4 big hand fuls of porrindge oats and some bread

I can tell if it enough by measuring it out and throwing it down or in a bowl however you feed the birds. If before dusk there is none left you need to add to the amount until they are almost not finished before they go up for the night. Food and water needs to be available to even the weakest one that will only get to eat after all the stronger chicks are finished unless they allow all to eat at one time. That goes for scratch. only enough that they finish it in 1 sitting. If there is too much left before you leave it may be to much thrown down and wasted. JMHO in how I throw down food treats. Me as far as feed, it is down in quantities for them to eat there hearts content and food will always be available.

Last edited:
I don't think so. A kilo is 2.2 lbs. I am thinking my full grown hens eat about 5 or 6 ounces a day?? Plus if they are confined, bored, and need the energy to stay warm....I bet they will eat about 4 lbs a day?? It would be interesting to know exactly how much my birds eat. Guess you will have to try and see.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think he said "KG" not Kilo and it also depends on how many birds. He has yet to tell us a lot of info thats why I said thrown down and see if its goes by the end of the day? No argument here just a slight misread KG and kilo?

Quote:
I think he said "KG" not Kilo and it also depends on how many birds. He has yet to tell us a lot of info thats why I said thrown down and see if its goes by the end of the day? No argument here just a slight misread KG and kilo?

Hmmm.....I thought kg was a kilogram?? 2.2 lbs.....grrr going to google, cuz I am confused now

Quote:

Hmmm.....I thought kg was a kilogram?? 2.2 lbs.....grrr going to google, cuz I am confused now

My be I lost my mind and wrong. Anyone could be right or wrong. Sorry If I got it backwards.

yeah kg is kilogram.

But yes I did misread.....had the idea he was feeding 12 hens?? Must have been info left in my head from something else. So yeah
lau.gif
to guess quantities we do need to know what is being fed!!

But, would rather overfeed than have poor hungry chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom