Is 2 coops in 1 run a bad idea?

Debs55

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
In The Middle Of Nowhere GA
Instead of having one huge coop...for 35 chickens and then a large run. what about 2 smaller coops (including nesting boxes in each) with acess to the same large run? what do yall think about this?

I have one run for two coops. There are actually three, the modified dog house is a quarantine/grow out coop that I fence off within the main run when in use. This is a 300 sq ft run with about 50 sq ft of coop space between the two big coops.

I have 2 coops in one large run. I also have a door where I can split the large run into two separate runs if need be. Each have a coop in it.

I'm kind of thinking like a coop on each end with fence in between so that 2 sides are the coops and 2 are fence so the run will be in between them both. i hope that made sense :)

unless you divide the run, how do you keep all the girls going to one coop at the end of the day?

I actually started with one coop for my first six girls, then added 5 girls about 3 months later and a new coop. So while they share run space, my first six still sleep in "their" coop. Although they all lay in one coop (and one box) and share coops during the day. Crazy chickens.

Back
Top Bottom