Is 2 roosters too many?

I have at least eleven (count them: 11+) roosters in my flock of 50 some birds, total, so the ratio is far from optimun. But they all range freely over nearly two-thirds of an acre. The roosters get along, but there are a couple of hussy hens who get more rooster action than others. I will have to put chicken shawls on them.

It does sound like too much roo attention, but you just have to consider your own birds. How old are they now, are they mating? How are the hens doing? If you have bare backs, screaming, violent mating, etc, you'll need to remove a roo. One roo may be so low he never gets to mate, and your flock is pretty healthy. That's why there are rules of thumb for things like this, but not really any hard and fast answers. If things get too hard on your hens, pull one or both of the roos out. I think I'd rather have the two roos in together and the hens without a roo if they've been overmated, that's just my way of seeing it.
Saying you plan to get more hens in the spring, do you mean point of lay or full grown hens, or baby chicks? I've noticed not near as much mating going on during the winter, but the hormones go into overdrive in the spring. If your flock is okay now, and you plan to get baby chicks in the spring, you'll still have to keep a close eye on your hens cause those little babies won't be mature enough to mate for about four months.

Fred's Hens :

Yup. If you aren't breeding or hatching, all the activity just wears out the hens. On top of that, two cocks to only 5 hens is way too much activity. We don't mind a ratio of one cock to 5 hens for a brief breeding period, but for the longer term, one cock to 8-12 hens is preferred.

so if i get more hens in the spring i'm ok? and i was actually planning on hatching a couple of eggs and seeing how it goes. i'd try to keep the parents organized and everything, but you said if i wasn't breeding or hatching. does that meen that if i hatch a few it won't were out the hens as much?
jumpy.gif

when i say new hens, would it be best for them to be born(hatched) from one of my current hens or to purchase them from a breeder to make sure they're hens?

Quote:
In my opinion if you want hens only I would get sexed chicks not hatch my own. I have hatches were I had 10 eggs 6 roos out of 10. You never know when your hatching it is FUN but luck of the draw as far as geting hens

Some people think there is one standard answer to this question (roo to hen ratio). However, it actually depends on many variables. And, I wish I could discuss them all, but I've got to get back to work!
big_smile.png

Quote:
you have 6-12! wow....and no bare backs on your hens? no fighting? how old are your hens and roos? Are they breeding yet?

Nope they get along fine. Truthfully I have one rooster that the others know is in charge and the only one I EVER see mate any hens at all. Trust me I spend ALOT of time with them. My roos are all respectful to people and hens.

I just posted "recent pics I took" Some of my roos are in the pics.

I have a similar setup with the roo and hen ratio in one of my houses. If one roo gets too uppedy he goes to freezer camp and the rest learn fairly quickly what not to do.

If the roos do get to be too much, pen the two of them together, separately from hens. This will keep their pecking order, and the hens' intact. When you get more chickens, then you can integrate everyone together again.
I have 5 roos in a pen together right now and they get along better than my free-ranging hens. The seldom fight (just an occaionl 'reminder' peck) and only 3 of them grew up together, the other 2 are new guys added in October!
I also have 5 roos and a cockeral free ranging with the hens (5:1 ratio- I plan to get rid of 2 of the boys) and they do okay, now that I have one who is in charge and a few of the others have little harems of their own hens.

Back
Top Bottom