Is 20% protein too much for pullets and laying hens?

I'll add further that studies have demonstrated that increasing protein levels from 16% to 18-20% in mature layers IS associated with reduced mortality rates, increased frequency of lay, and increased egg size in production hens. So why is the typical layer feed just 16% protein? Because those increases are generally on the order of 1-3%. That's 6+/- "extra" eggs a year (in a bird that may lay 300), and less than a gram, on average, of additional egg weight. The costs of the extra protein in the feed far exceeds the value of the added production. Going from, say 20% protein to 24% protein generally does NOT result in statistically significant levels of increased lay, does result in another couple % increased egg size, and a massive increase in cost. and if your birds aren't production layers? Your every other day layer might add 2 eggs to the pile in a year, and nobody notices a 1g difference in egg size w/o a scale.

So why do I (and many other BYCers) recommend 20% over 16%?

Because the increased cost for out (typically) small flocks is only a few dollars a year, and we are generally much more concerned with the long term health and comfort (shorter, less stressful molts!, marginally better climate tolerance) of our birds than commercial flocks where 3-5% mortality in one year old birds is considered a cost of doing business .

Well, those are my reasons. Others may haver reason of their own.

Last edited:
I have an enclosed run, no free ranging (due to predators), and feed 20% Purina All Flock(Flockraiser). Free choice calcium carbonate rocks (oyster shell) and grit. When they eat only their formulated feed, their eggs are larger. When I see a decrease in egg size, I withhold treats for a few days, and the size increases again. If you can get a good baseline of egg size based on commercial feed only, then you can tell when you're over-feeding treats due to slight egg size decrease.

I have a mix of production layers (ISA Browns, Golden Comet) and others (buff orpington, starlight green eggers, prairie bluebell eggers). The change in egg size is most visible to me in the production layer eggs, probably because they are all extra large. Haven't had much trouble with with internal laying or double yolking and so forth yet, but my flock is <1 yr old, and small (15 hens).

I have an enclosed run, no free ranging (due to predators), and feed 20% Purina All Flock(Flockraiser). Free choice calcium carbonate rocks (oyster shell) and grit. When they eat only their formulated feed, their eggs are larger. When I see a decrease in egg size, I withhold treats for a few days, and the size increases again. If you can get a good baseline of egg size based on commercial feed only, then you can tell when you're over-feeding treats due to slight egg size decrease.

I have a mix of production layers (ISA Browns, Golden Comet) and others (buff orpington, starlight green eggers, prairie bluebell eggers). The change in egg size is most visible to me in the production layer eggs, probably because they are all extra large. Haven't had much trouble with with internal laying or double yolking and so forth yet, but my flock is <1 yr old, and small (15 hens).
Good advice. I learn so much on this site.

I saw a study where 30% protein could cause avian gout. I don't know which chickens were used for that study, I suspect it was either the breeder flocks that produce the eggs that hatch into the Cornish Cross broilers or the hybrid hens specifically developed to lay eggs. The commercial poultry business are the ones that generally pay for those studies so they are going to use the birds they are interested in instead of the ones that we typically keep.

The commercial egg laying businesses feed their hens around 16% protein. The hybrid egg laying hens have relatively smaller bodies so they don't need as much protein for body maintenance as our larger hens do. The higher the protein the larger the eggs are. The hybrid egg layers lay a relatively large egg for their body size, an increase in size could cause internal laying, egg bound, or prolapsed hens. High protein can cause them to release an extra egg yolk which can lead to other health problems. If you have 5,000 hens in a hen house and several of these hen houses you are more likely to see these things. Our chickens tend to have larger bodies and lay smaller eggs so they can typically handle higher protein levels.

Yep!

It is not what is in one bite, it's how many total grams of calcium, protein, and other nutrients they eat in a day. Even that is averaged out over a few days. If you let them forage for much of their food you've lost the ability to micromanage their diet anyway.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Didn't realize how much I needed to learn.

Back
Top Bottom