Is 22% protein chick/game feed too much for egg layer pullets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Arielle, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I just realized that the feed may actually be intended for meat birds rather than egg layers! It was the only non-mediated feed with "chick" on it. My girls are10-12 weeks old. Do I need to reduce the protein level???? I've been adding fruits and vegies and my kids leftover BP&J sandwiches.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Mine are on non-medicated 22% chick starter until they are 4-5 months old when they get moved to the layer coop where they are fed 17% layer.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks, I was feeling panicky after reading several posts saying that pullets that grow to fast have internal problems like being egg bound. They are to grow into maturity slowly.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I can't say I've ever heard that but I guess it makes sense. I've never had a problem and MANY MANY MANY people feed the way I do and have never had a problem. I always try to give my chickens the most nutrition I can... from day one forward.

I think you'll be just fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WMR---
    This seemed a little weird to me--the egg bound thing due to fast growth. It just didn't make sense when we push all our livestock for maximum growth, why this should become a problem. Certainly the big egg producing facilities want the hens at max production by about 4 months. So thanks for the input!!!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I always thought it was more due to the fact that they have been genetically bred for maximum egg production that causes the issues, not necessarily fast growth.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I feed my chickens 22% protein feed, but I also let them eat grass.[​IMG]

I guess the key is to feed them different things.

Quote:

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the input; I won't change anything.

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I feed my mixed flock a game bird feed with 22% protein since they free ranged. They were not getting the right protein with all the grass and weeds they were eating. I have not had any egg laying issues. I think that happens with the hatchery birds who are breed to be egg laying machines I do not use any extra light in the winter so all my girls had at least 3 months off of egg laying which I think helps them. Since most don't go broody.

10. AbeBot

AbeBot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    I feed 18-24% plus black soldier fly pupae, which are 40%. I let them make some of their own eating choices and don't worry about it. They are on grass, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by