Is 22% protein chick/game feed too much for egg layer pullets?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I just realized that the feed may actually be intended for meat birds rather than egg layers! It was the only non-mediated feed with "chick" on it. My girls are10-12 weeks old. Do I need to reduce the protein level???? I've been adding fruits and vegies and my kids leftover BP&J sandwiches.

Thanks, I was feeling panicky after reading several posts saying that pullets that grow to fast have internal problems like being egg bound. They are to grow into maturity slowly.

I can't say I've ever heard that but I guess it makes sense. I've never had a problem and MANY MANY MANY people feed the way I do and have never had a problem. I always try to give my chickens the most nutrition I can... from day one forward.

I think you'll be just fine.
smile.png

Last edited:
WMR---
This seemed a little weird to me--the egg bound thing due to fast growth. It just didn't make sense when we push all our livestock for maximum growth, why this should become a problem. Certainly the big egg producing facilities want the hens at max production by about 4 months. So thanks for the input!!!

I always thought it was more due to the fact that they have been genetically bred for maximum egg production that causes the issues, not necessarily fast growth.

Last edited:
I feed my mixed flock a game bird feed with 22% protein since they free ranged. They were not getting the right protein with all the grass and weeds they were eating. I have not had any egg laying issues. I think that happens with the hatchery birds who are breed to be egg laying machines I do not use any extra light in the winter so all my girls had at least 3 months off of egg laying which I think helps them. Since most don't go broody.

I feed 18-24% plus black soldier fly pupae, which are 40%. I let them make some of their own eating choices and don't worry about it. They are on grass, too.

Back
Top Bottom