Is 8x16 coop big enough.

kevinkub

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
I am process of building a 8x16 coop with a attached run of about 400 sq ft. I want fifty chickens. I am trying to figure out how many nesting boxes and roosts I need to build. I live in kansas. I am going to get some older chickens first like 10. I dont know what breed . Then order chicks . I want all colors of eggs. Also will be getting guineas and a few ducks. Can I keep em all together in same coop. They will be able to free range (I have 160 acres of farmland) but lots of predators. Is this enough space for them . ThANKS

Going by 4sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run, you only have space for about 32 - 35 if they're all large fowl and they only sleep in the coop. I personally don't coop ducks and chickens together if you have drakes due to potential deaths if the drakes try to mate the chickens.

I have an 8 x 14 coop with a mixed flock. It has been my experience that with mixed flocks and various ages I am able to keep 20 in it. I have bantam cochins, BO, BA, EE, GLW, Hamburgs, Callifornia Whites, Blue wyandotte, blue andalusian, and such.
I do not count the nest box as square footage nor the feed and water areas.
When I had them in smaller coops the picking was unbearable. Mine cannot free range.
For an 8x16 mixed flock that free ranges more is perhaps workable.

What about when there is a lot of snow?

I am thinking you will end up with a coop that is all roosts and nests for 50 hens.

Probably 15 nests and 40 linear foot of roosting space would be minimum.
Free ranging will certainly help. Each chicken is different.
If they had to stay in though that would be more difficult.

I also would not keep ducks or guineas in with chickens.
If you are free ranging plan on the guineas to run off and decide on sleeping in trees or on roofs.

You would have room for 30 large fowl in the coop, but only about 22 in the run based on 4 sq ft per bird and 10 sq ft per bird. Of course it all depends on your worst case scenario with weather. I have 200 sq ft of covered run space and another 100 sq ft uncovered, all winterized. Even in the coldest blizzard my flock is usually outside (can't free range.) So I get away with a little more than 3.5 sq ft in the coops, but 20 sq ft per bird in the run.

Any thing that equals 300 sq ft, so 30x10 for example would support 30 birds. Since you don't free range all day, you really would need the 10 sq ft per bird. But since you have the 15x15 run already, you really only need 75 more sq ft, so something 8x10 gives you what you need plus 5 extra sq ft. Something as simple as T posts with hardware mesh and bird netting on top would work, depending on predators. Is the coop free standing? You could raise it up and secure the underside, which gives you more space. Or you could keep some bantams, which don't require as much space.

Just some food for thought: There is always lots of talk about the so called miniumum standards in regards to coop/run size. Keep in mind those numbers are *minimum* space requirements. Those stated measurements will usually keep most people out of trouble, usually, not always. I have kept chickens for many years and I can tell you that you are always far better off to either build your pens much larger then those standards or keep fewer birds. I have never, ever kept birds in those stated minimum standards. It just always seems to fall apart when you have large numbers of birds confined in small spaces. The problems that arise from that are far easier avoided in the first place then solved after they occur.

So how many chickens would fit in a 10 x 12 coop with nesting boxes built extending outside of wall and a 15 x 15 run? We also free range a lot too and live in FLorida. I was thinking 25 would be max but would love to do more if only by a few.

Last edited:
I wish I knew the proper run size then before I had it built. What would the equal run size be for 30? Half of the run is covered and the other is wired. We have had a lot of hawks around but no losses. In central Fl it rarely, if ever gets to below freezing so the sides are just wire but we do put a tarp up to protect them from the wind if it's cold out. They also free range from about 2-4 pm till roosting time when they put themselves away. Does that affect the needed run size at all?

The coop is an old shed turned coop with a concrete floor. However, I really like the idea of extending it like you mentioned. We could just cut out a door and do that extension. That would work great to for separating some of these adolescent roos too. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom