1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is a Barred Rock an excellent or good layer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by S*T*A*R, Oct 7, 2010.

1. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    I have a Barred Rock hen, and she laid one egg yesterday, and hasn't laid any yet today. Are Barred Rocks good layers or excellent layers? [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My barred rock hen lays an egg every day, I don't think she's missed a day in a few weeks, not that I know of anyway [​IMG] I would say excellent [​IMG] She is about 1 year old.

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have 3 that lay about 5 eggs a week and 5 that lay everyday. It varies by hen, food, age, weather, stress etc. so mine free range have a safe place to roost and are about 20 months old.

ETA: and they eat flock raiser

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  4. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i would say excellent, i have 3, i get 18-20 eggs per week from them, obviously i expect that to scale back with winter coming.

The eggs at this point are smaller than my RIR, but more consistant

5. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Mine lays a egg every day. i love her she is just the sweetest thing! did your hen just start laying? when they first begin laying they may lay one egg and not pick up for a while...

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    BR's are excellent layers.

7. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes, team edward, my hen just started laying. So you're saying that she might not lay another egg for a few more days?

8. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    A new layer may skip some days in the beginning, but she'll catch up. All of the BR's that I've ever had have been excellent layers. We've gotten 5-6 eggs a week from each hen. I have four more BR pullets that should start laying in the next couple of weeks, and I can't wait!

9. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I have 3 and they're excellent layers.

10. S*T*A*R

Oct 3, 2010
    OK thanks people!!! She should be giving me lots of eggs pretty sooooon!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by