Is a single light bulb sufficient to light a 5x7 coop?

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
I just got a new (well used but new to me) coop. It's 5x7 and I already painted it and pressure washed it, and its about ready for new inhabitants.
I bought a porcelain socket for a single light bulb. Do you think that will give off enough light to keep my hens laying throughout the winter ?
Thanks
smile.png

Yes, a single light bulb will be sufficient to light your coop. It is best to have the light to come on early in the morning and go off after sunrise. They will need at least 14 hours of light. I have mine set on a timer to come on at 3:30 am and turns off at 7:00 am.

Yes, I have read here that they just need enough to read a newspaper by. Though why a chicken would read a newspaper is beyond me, and I don't think mine are even able to read. But apparently some do......

Oh yes, by all means, and you may only need a low-wattage one. Try a 40. If your walls are light-colored and your ceiling not bizarrely high, that's prolly plenty.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have unfinished walls and have an 8x16 coop. I used two dual 40 W fluorescent shop light fixtures fastened to rafters at 7 1/2 ft above floor. They are only on briefly at dusk and in AM when I let them out. Only other times is when I am working in coop. I think they were about $7 each not counting house wire and switch on wall.

I ran a 140 ft water line, 3/4", along with a 12 ga (20 amp) line and also an 8-wire tel line to coop before building it. Never used the latter one yet, but maybe the chooks would like some Bach or Mozart piped in some day ?

Quote:
gig.gif
love.gif
lau.gif

Well you know, often they have to sit in the nestbox for a while before the egg comes out, I'm sure you've seen them there staring off into space looking bored, stands to reason they'd be more apt to go in there and lay if they have reading matter to occupy them while they wait, sort of like a magazine rack next to your toilet
lol.png

Pat

A single fixture is just fine for that size coop. I aolso agree with 14 hrs./day of light. However, if you want to see more of your birds this winter, as well as cut down on 4am egg-calling, you can have the light stay on in the evening, too.

I just use a multi plug adaptor with a second timer. The second timer has a nightlight plugged into it, and is set to go off a half hour after the main light. this provides an artificial dusk that lets the birds know it's time to get up to their roosts. Chickens do have a good built-in clock, though. My birds are usually ready for bed even before the nightlight comes on.

Back
Top Bottom