is an old 20 gallon acrylic aquarium suitable for raising baby chicks?

jh5000

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
I have an old aquarium that I am not using for anything, wondering if that would be suitable for raising three or four chicks at a time? I still need to get a clamp on heat lamp and everything, but wondering how thick the layer of shavings needs to be, etc. I saw a little kit on mypetchicken for about 70 that is just cardboard sections you can slat together to make a little corral for them. Figure an aquarium should work?

Appreciate advice and suggestions.

It sure would. Ive used one (recycled lizard habitat made like an aquarium with a mesh lid) until my hubby broke it
he.gif
. I used a head lamp on top of the mesh lid and it held temps perfectly.

I could probably just leave the top off for ventilation and get a clamp on heat lamp to attach to one of the sides. How deep of a layer of shavings do you put in for chicks? I have read about people putting a soft paper barrier over shavings for a few days, like pet pads, paper towels, etc, is this necessary? I only plan on having three to four hens maximum. Thanks.

The aquarium will work short term. You might have issues with heat. because of the glass the tank will retain heat. there is not a lot of space for the chicks to move around if they do need to cool a bit. Monitor the heat closely till you know how it will circulate. I usually use a couple sheets of newspaper the first day to may sure the chicks learn to eat the food instead of the shavings. The shavings are used for controlling litter and second for warmth so the amount of shaving you use will very. you will not need to much with only 3-4 chicks.

I've used them - they work great. If you go to Petsmart/Petco - in the reptile section, you can buy mesh tank tops made for converting aquariums.

I line the bottom with several layers of mesh shelf liner - just roll the top one up and toss (or wash) when it gets dirty.

Thanks for the inputs. It is a pretty deep aquarium, I think it might be nearly two feet deep. What is the transition habitat for the chicks once they are ready to come away from the heat lamp, a big dog kennel? I really have no idea what I am doing yet but having fun putting it all together.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom