Is anyone using their feathers?

flitter

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
NorthCentral Pennsylvania
I wondered if anyone uses their chicken's feathers? Do you gather them up or pluck them out? Would plucking mess up their molt cycle? I just collect them from the ground and display in a wooden bowl.
Our ancestors used them for pillows, etc. DH says they killed the birds to do that? Just wondering and didn't get anything when I searched.

37126_messager_bads.jpg

The masks are AWESOME!!! And regarding the wreath...how did you attach them and what did you attach them to? I wanted to do something similar but couldnt quite figure it out so I just did this instead. (so instructions please!)
61151_aug_9_001.jpg

I use my birds feathers for craft projects and jewelry. I never pluck them as each feather is connected to the bird by its skin and pulling them out will cause the bird to bleed (neighbors kid tried to start plucking my sebastopol gander). It is best if you want to not process the bird to let them molt out naturally. Yes most birds when mass producing feathers are killed. but if you dont need tons you dont need to do that.

Quote:
Only blood feathers will bleed..they only have blood in them when growing in. it like pull one of your hairs out , one at a time , doesn't hurt them,only if its a blood feather..easy to tell them apart ,you can see the blood in them.

Back
Top Bottom