Is Black-Laced Black Possible?

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I thought this forum was the most likely to know the answer.

My 4, Lavender Orpington x SLWs pullets are very much black, with a vivid iridescence but in some lights and, especially when I try to photograph the iridescence, it looks as if there is a highlight in the center of each feather and a duller area around the edge.

Do black birds who also carry the lacing gene commonly show this kind of black-on-black patterning? Or is it a normal trick of light on all-black birds?

The first set of pictures were taken with a flash:

0819212008.jpg
0819212009.jpg
0819212009a.jpg

And this one is in natural sunlight.

0903211938c.jpg

In person and in a dull light there is no indication of any pattern -- just absolute black with a brilliant green iridescence.

Attachments

• 0903211938g.jpg
    0903211938g.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 4

My 4, Lavender Orpington x SLWs pullets are very much black, with a vivid iridescence but in some lights and, especially when I try to photograph the iridescence, it looks as if there is a highlight in the center of each feather and a duller area around the edge.

Do black birds who also carry the lacing gene commonly show this kind of black-on-black patterning? Or is it a normal trick of light on all-black birds?

View attachment 2838961View attachment 2838962View attachment 2838963

View attachment 2838958

In person and in a dull light there is no indication of any pattern -- just absolute black with a brilliant green iridescence.
I think it’s just the sheen being highlighted in weird lighting.🤷🏽‍♀️

On a nice quality black bird, what you would often see is simply a trick of the light, the iridescence and reflection of light.

On a lesser quality black bird you might see "shaftiness" which is an actual reduction in black pigment on the feather shaft - which appears as lighter shade (or even silver) stripes in the feather. This occurs on other colored birds too.

Looking at your pictures.. I'd say those birds are the former. The play of light on the feathers :)

On a nice quality black bird, what you would often see is simply a trick of the light, the iridescence and reflection of light.

On a lesser quality black bird you might see "shaftiness" which is an actual reduction in black pigment on the feather shaft - which appears as lighter shade (or even silver) stripes in the feather. This occurs on other colored birds too.

Looking at your pictures.. I'd say those birds are the former. The play of light on the feathers :)

The iridescence is absolutely glorious. I was, actually, a little disappointed when their final juvenile molt brought it out because their baby feathers were an incredible, light-swallowing matte black. The velvety matte black would have been cool, but their shine really is amazing. :)

View attachment 2838961View attachment 2838962View attachment 2838963

View attachment 2838958

One of my roosters has a black tail, it has iridescent barring

Back
Top Bottom