Is bumble foot common? Worried about rooster!

Aw bummer.....it can really rattle your nerves.
Deep breaths.
Are your hands not big enough to get them wrapped around his wings?
I can barely get mine around my boy and have fingertips of one hand on keel to pick him up.

Aw bummer.....it can really rattle your nerves.
Deep breaths.
Are your hands not big enough to get them wrapped around his wings?
I can barely get mine around my boy and have fingertips of one hand on keel to pick him up.
I thought I had kinda big hands for a woman, but he is huge and flexible, maybe its the thick leather work gloves I had on. Seems like my husband always had a hard time to get a grip on him too. Yeah that poor thing had pure fear in his eyes and wouldn't come near me again after that. His eyes went from squinty and mean to round and scared . I'm sure he'll be ready to fight tomorrow. He gets over the fear pretty fast ....I'm going to try like heck to get that metacam stuff...

The Empson salt soak didn't go as planned, him and I are both shooken up :( I got him wedged perfectly in-between the waterer and the gate, went to grab him, he squirmed and fought like heck, I couldn't get a good grip I accidentally pulled some feathers out, he got away stumbled and he was so upset then I got upset. I thought I killed him. So I just went in the house defeated. :hitim going to call my vet and see if I can get some meloxicam

:hugs He will be o.k. and you will be too.
You need to wait to get him when he's roosting and the hubby can help.
BO's are big, even though mine wasn't really a struggler/fighter, when I picked him up he was just big and heavy I needed both hands to get a firm hold of him so I felt like I would not drop him.

:hugs He will be o.k. and you will be too.
You need to wait to get him when he's roosting and the hubby can help.
BO's are big, even though mine wasn't really a struggler/fighter, when I picked him up he was just big and heavy I needed both hands to get a firm hold of him so I felt like I would not drop him.
Thank you, was that your B.O in your album? He looks like he could be Franklin's twin, identical face/head and comb.... they are huge! I look at my dad's roosters and they look tiny compared to Franklin. I just hope my husband doesn't drop him accidentally. I feel like women are more gentle I suppose lol. He has a chicken heating pad he is obsessed with since this injury.

Thank you, was that your B.O in your album? He looks like he could be Franklin's twin, identical face/head and comb.... they are huge! I look at my dad's roosters and they look tiny compared to Franklin. I just hope my husband doesn't drop him accidentally. I feel like women are more gentle I suppose lol. He has a chicken heating pad he is obsessed with since this injury.
Yes, that was him:) He was young there and filled out even more than that though! LOL

I would loosely swaddle him in a towel capturing those wings, that will hopefully minimize the struggle so he can be carried/handled easier.

I wear thin rubber palmed gloves helps with the grip a bit.
Did you grab him off roost after dark?
Thought you were going to wait for help on the weekend?
I have to use thick leather, I learned my lesson using thin ones, he bites so hard and he will shake his head and pull like a dog, and it really hurts . But sometimes he won't bite he will hide his head under your arm so he can't see what's about to happen to him. I was watching him and he kept wedging himself between the waterer and the gate (bc I was messing around with his plastic wrap I put around the run) I just thought it might be a good time to feel up the plastic tub and quickly grab him. Nope didn't go well :rolleyes:

Yes, that was him:) He was young there and filled out even more than that though! LOL

I would loosely swaddle him in a towel capturing those wings, that will hopefully minimize the struggle so he can be carried/handled easier.
I'll definitely do the towel trick the next time, I had a towel but he was looking skittish with it. Why loosely? Such a beautiful rooster and he looked huge in that picture .The rooster in your avatar is gorgeous too. I've been thinking about getting that certain breed as my next future chicken..

Last edited:
I'll definitely do the towel trick the next time, I had a towel but he was looking skittish with it. Why loosely? Such a beautiful rooster and he looked huge in that picture .The rooster in your avatar is gorgeous too. I've been thinking about getting that certain breed as my next future chicken..
Thanks! I like the young fella, he's around 9 months, but he's doing well. Yeah, he's pretty too, sometimes I think he knows it. He's very calm and doesn't seem to mind being handled. We shall see what happens when spring arrives;)

Well you do want to capture his wings, but not so tightly he can't breath well. He's going to be stressed for sure.

Back
Top Bottom