Is Chicken Wire "Bad"

MrsRevDr

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
We have moved somewhere that the previous owners had chickens (at least 10 years ago) the outside run has two wood walls and a roof (this is at the end of barn) and it's covered with chicken wire. The inside is about 10x20 with chicken wire over the windows...should I recover this or can I assume it will hold for me too?

Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens inside (or outside) but really bad for using to secure a coop against predators.

I would remove the chicken wire and replace it with hardware cloth.

It's not "bad", it just is what it is. Which ain't especially predatorproof.

If you are okay with not especially predatorproof, then it is fine for you.

If you would rather use something that has the ability to *physically prevent* dogs or raccoons or whatever from ripping thru the fence and eating chickens, then it is not a very good choice.

If it were me, I'd replace the chickenwire with something stronger (even if just 2x4 welded wire fencing with chickenwire added to the bottom 2-3', plus a digproof apron which could if necessary be chickenwire although welded wire is somewhat better). But, that's just me and everyone has their own priorities and feelings about things, and there is no need for us to all feel alike
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom