is chicken yawning always gapeworms?

Snack Giver

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Seattle
My 8 month old healthy-looking extremely active, happy and fun leghorn hen sometimes has an attack of the yawns. Then it goes away. Its not every day. It seems to happen after I let her have crickets and worms and then chill inside in the warm home entryway to relax. Thats when she sometimes will yawn like 20 times in a row, stretching her neck out. Then it goes away and she resumes her happy little routine. Is this normal? Or is it always gapeworms? I watched heartbreaking vids of hens that looked sick and listless from gapeworms. my little leghorn doesnt look sick. Thanks.

My girls do that all the time. Usually after preening or eating something dry. I have seen my quail do the same thing. So yawning is not always gape worm. Gape worms tend to make the bird gasp for air as the worms get into the trachea and block the breathing. So, I would say that there is nothing to worry about.
smile.png

OK thanks. there is no gasping. this is after a mealworm feast and my bird is not sick looking. those videos i watched of the wheezing made me sad. my bird is hyper-active and in my face for snacks 24/7. The yawning episodes is for 5-10 mins only. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom