Is Egg Theft Common?

I'm also down a long driveway but not "in the country" (service and repair guys hate it, they can never find the house). Unfortunately I do get people on the property, whether it's teens taking a shortcut or someone helping themselves to berries or worse, stolen mail and property getting dumped :rant, but the house is set back so far that no one comes up. I have an unlocked shed that people are free to steal from and no one wants to take my junk... :p

If there were an issue both the run and coop can be locked, but I hope it never comes to that.

I've never had eggs or anything stolen from my coop. But I've always lived in rural country settings. And I try to always have a big dog roaming around.
(Although I did have a fella in my coop a few years back.... he wasn't stealing eggs, he was hiding from the police.)
Did he look like the other coop occupants.:lau

You should consider a cannibal chicken too, i used to have an egg cracker hen, i used to lost some egg, i search under the coop to check if the egg was rolling down but i couldnt find any, till someday i caught her red handed pecking, cracking, and eating her egg.
Umm...., i mean red beaked, yellow beaked, whatever.

Hope you and your neighbour live well.

Last edited:
I suppose where I am at I don't worry too much. We have a fenced yard and the eggs are laid in the coop and it seems like someone would have to fiddle with the clasps to get in. Although, we do get quite a few homeless coming through the area.

The people we know live in a different area, and their neighbors aren't that close to them. I hope they figure out who it is.
I live on 15 acres fenced but backs to the woods,4 months ago two legged predators stole 12 8wk old chicks and we had never had anyone both anything before that. Pens, run and coop is padlocked when no one is home or at night now. Good luck hope a camera catches the one doing it.

I live on 15 acres fenced but backs to the woods,4 months ago two legged predators stole 12 8wk old chicks and we had never had anyone both anything before that. Pens, run and coop is padlocked when no one is home or at night now. Good luck hope a camera catches the one doing it.
We have monitor lizard here, but they wont go near the coop, it seem that they already full with the trash and leftover food. We also had some snake, but snake population had been decreasing recently, i havent see any snake a few years back, the road development must have hurt some of the species.

Cameras are pretty inexpensive these days, but many moons ago my business did an analysis os the impact of cameras, vs having a sign that says “video security cameras in use” with no discernible difference in the deterrence of theft. There are signs like that on amazon.
We live rurally with no neighbors. We chose to use camera as we’ve had trash dumped and poaching on our land. We’ve caught one poacher shooting deer out of season. Since his arrest and fine- no more problems!

i imagine if your friend really wants to keep trespassers out of his chicken coop, it would be easy enough to do. padlocks on the door and the trail camera would be my first purchase.
i wonder tho about these neighbors or trespassers who are that hungry. maybe homeless folk.
if your friend installs the locks and still no eggs it means he has one or more egg eating hens, or he has rats, possums, skunks or something getting in and eating eggs.

Back
Top Bottom