Is Electric Light Needed?

FFChick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
NJ
I was told that chickens need an electric light in a coop. My coop has two eastward facing windows do I still need a light. Do I keep burning the light all night? I currently have a 15 watt bulb in the coop that is on 24/7.

my chickens are 12 weeks old and I have always left a light going in their coop. Should I stop doing that ? Should I put the light on a timer or is it harmful to leave the light on all night ?

I have a standard 40 watt bulb in one of those reflector light bulb socket thingy's.

Thanks for any help

We have electricity in our coop only because we would like our hens to keep laying in the winter so they need their 14 hours of daylight. We will keep the light on until about 8pm at night and then go out to turn it off.

I have a electric in my coop, but its only because my coop is part of my main barn. I dont leave a light on for them, they seem to like it better with no light. I know a few times the light got left on well past dark and when I went out to shut it off the girls were very restless till I shut the light off.

Back
Top Bottom