Is Gertrude really a George??? Opinions please :)

cmcourt

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
I have three Silver Laced Wyandottes. We named them Sophia, Josephine, and Gertrude. Gertrude's comb is developing a bit differently than her sisters so we are wondering if she is really a he. What do you all think???

Thanks for taking a look
smile.png

Sophia

poult.JPG

Gertrude???

roo.JPG

Last edited:
nice pictures. Mine aren't coming out right. What are you using? I have a quality camera but it seems to take to loong to snap the picture and then they are blurry

Make sure you have good lighting to take a pic. Automatic cameras will decrease the shutter speed if the lighting is low resulting in a blurry pic of a moving object. With bright light, it will snap the pic fast and get a clearer pic. You can also manually turn on the flash and set it to a mving object setting, which most cameras have.

Honestly, I just stuck the camera in and clicked. These two pics are edited from two other pics with all my chicks. I just got lucky, photography is so NOT my thing.

Soooo, any thoughts on boy or girl????

It's really hard to tell in the pics, but I say hen! All my roo's had much more developed combs than what's visable here.

How old are they? They look just like my SLW and when I posted a pic everyone said roo
sad.png
Im still on the fence cause she is young.. I hope yours are shes and not hes
smile.png

Age is really important. That much pink in a 2-week old would get different guesses than that much pink in a 9-week old. Also, by "developing differently" were you referring to the color or shape? Although they are not supposed to, some hatchery Wyandottes have single combs so if your other two have single combs this one would look VERY different.

Quote:
Make sure there is good lighting, and if you're doing a closeup use the macro setting, it's usually the setting that looks like a little flower.

I second (or third
wink.png
) the how old question.

Re: photos-- When using a point-and-shoot camera, adequate lighting is important (right next to a window or outside is best) when not using a flash. Also, many people get too close to their subject. Even with the macro setting, a good point-and-shoot lens can be overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom