Is Ibuprofen okay for chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elite Silkies, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    My kiddos let the cat in and I didn't know it. He got one of the chicks, and I need to know if I can give him some Ibuprofen.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge then I have will see your question. Until then though I wouldn't do it. I do know that it's bad for dog and I think cats too. Do you have any childrens Tylenol? That's usually a safer choice. Good luck!

3. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I wouldn't do it. Chances are if it is safe the dose would be miniscule and impossible to measure correctly.

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I have heard that Ibuprofen is bad for chickens and that asprin is the only thing you can give. I've also heard that chickens have a very high pain tolerance and seldom need pain meds but I'm hoping someone with more experience and/or knowledge will chime in.

Mary

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    NO !!!

You can give aspirin in the water, however, if the chick has bite or claw wounds, he needs antibiotics--probably penicillin.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I finally found the thread for Aspirin only. 1 tablet per gallon. But, I don't think he is going to make it. I think it put him into shock. I just gave him some aspirin.

I don't see any puncture wounds at all anywhere. There is no blood. I have Duramycin-10. Should I go get some Penicillin? Injectable or in another form?

7. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    If he is in shock put him in a warm dark place(shoebox with a heating pad underneath it) for awhile, make sure he is hydrated and he should be alright if there are no wounds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by