Is Isolating A Sick Chicken Necessary?

kaneloc

Hatching
Feb 11, 2020
Chicken is active/alert but was exhibiting wheezing, hoarse voice, labored breathing, and infrequent sneezing today only. Veterinarian said her lungs sound congested and think she has an infection but we caught it early so she should be okay. They gave her an antibiotic injection with a follow up injection in 1 week. Not really any symptoms since we left, but vet recommended isolating her for 2 weeks.

Wouldn’t all the birds have already been exposed to anything she has? My flock is 4 chickens, but acts more like 2 groups of 2. My concern is that she and her flock mate will suffer more from the isolation than they will benefit from it. Is it necessary for me to isolate the one hen?

I understand what you are saying,,, all the other hens most-likely have been exposed already. Your Vet is going by general guidelines, just like your Doctor would also recommend people to avoid contact with others once they are sick.
I don't have a recommendation on what You should do. I don't know enough about chickens being sick, and transferring infections. :idunno
Lets see what other peeps think.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I'm kind of on the fence. On one hand it's usually best to follow a vet's advice. But on the other, I agree with cavemanrich that it's likely the other birds have already been exposed so isolation at this point won't necessarily keep the sickness from spreading.

The only time I've had to isolate a bird for health reasons I had her isolated in the run so she wasn't away from the flock and was able to rejoin by simply opening the door and letting her out. But that wasn't for a potentially infectious illness.

Chicken is active/alert but was exhibiting wheezing, hoarse voice, labored breathing, and infrequent sneezing today only. Veterinarian said her lungs sound congested and think she has an infection but we caught it early so she should be okay. They gave her an antibiotic injection with a follow up injection in 1 week. Not really any symptoms since we left, but vet recommended isolating her for 2 weeks.

Wouldn’t all the birds have already been exposed to anything she has? My flock is 4 chickens, but acts more like 2 groups of 2. My concern is that she and her flock mate will suffer more from the isolation than they will benefit from it. Is it necessary for me to isolate the one hen?
I know how you feel about isolation. I only have four chickens and they too go around in pairs so its a difficult thing to do. When Daisy had bumblefoot and I had to keep her in the coop on dry straw all day she kept calling for the others so unfortunately for the rest of them they got locked in with her too but I put a mesh panel betwenn the door and run so they could still see each other which calmed her. I think separating them really does upset them but I know it has to be done sometimes for the sake of the health of the others plus, imagine the cost of the vets bill to treat them all :barnie

Isolation is necessary on some occasions. If for example the chicken is unable to maintain their position in the flock due to ill health.
I prefer to not isolate whenever possible and if a chicken has to be isolated, keep the period as sort as possible.
For infectious diseases in the majority of case isolation is too late.

Different factors in play. Which disease or infection is it? How easily is it transmitted? How is it transmitted, air, sharing food and/or water? The others may have been exposed but how infectious is it? They may not have caught it yet. They may never. It may already be too late.

How easily is it treated? Are you willing to spend the necessary money? How much would it hurt you if the others get it, even if they don't die. How much effort are you willing to put into it to try to keep it form spreading?

Is isolating her necessary? Probably not and it may make no difference. But are you willing to pay the potential consequences of not isolating her? It is your choice.

Back
Top Bottom