Is it alive?

Pics
Maybe, but it doesn't look like it has passed too long ago. I'm not good at hatch fail analysis (or determining development day)... but suggestions depending on stage of development starts on page 52 of that incubation guide I linked.

Sorry for asking.. sometimes it's the simplest of things that might get overlooked.. Did you happen to take out your vent plugs on the bator?

Thank you so much for being brave and sharing this learning journey with us! :highfive:

Adding your general location to your profile will help folks make the best suggestions possible at glance. ;)

I do like having the option of using a turner with regards to freedom of scheduling and such... but hand turning can also be a great option/experience. :D Using automated turners decreased my personal hatch rate... but uhm... chicken math necessitates using them. :oops::smack People like Kiki (and myself of course)... are enablers! Oh ya, it started with chickens and then goats (I should have tried sheep). Turkeys, pigs. quail, rabbit... shumai! :p
I did take them out yes, I think something was just not meant to be. I didn’t complete the eggtopsy, but as I sat here looking at the hatching positions I got to thinking I’m not sure I even saw wings. I’m willing to bet if I had opened him completely he was deformed somewhere. And yes I should have gone with sheep too, my husband tells me every dang day. Our goats are an absolute hoot but impossible. I am going to read everything, get more thermometers and try again when I know more of what I’m doing. I totally want all the farm animals, but I only have a little acre. So I think I’ll stick to my chickens and mini goats.

I did take them out yes, I think something was just not meant to be. I didn’t complete the eggtopsy, but as I sat here looking at the hatching positions I got to thinking I’m not sure I even saw wings. I’m willing to bet if I had opened him completely he was deformed somewhere. And yes I should have gone with sheep too, my husband tells me every dang day. Our goats are an absolute hoot but impossible. I am going to read everything, get more thermometers and try again when I know more of what I’m doing. I totally want all the farm animals, but I only have a little acre. So I think I’ll stick to my chickens and mini goats.
Have you seen BYC's sister websites yet?
www.backyardherds.com
I am sure there are goat nutters over there that can help you with anything goat should you need help.

Maybe, but it doesn't look like it has passed too long ago. I'm not good at hatch fail analysis (or determining development day)... but suggestions depending on stage of development starts on page 52 of that incubation guide I linked.

Sorry for asking.. sometimes it's the simplest of things that might get overlooked.. Did you happen to take out your vent plugs on the bator?

Thank you so much for being brave and sharing this learning journey with us! :highfive:

Adding your general location to your profile will help folks make the best suggestions possible at glance. ;)

I do like having the option of using a turner with regards to freedom of scheduling and such... but hand turning can also be a great option/experience. :D Using automated turners decreased my personal hatch rate... but uhm... chicken math necessitates using them. :oops::smack People like Kiki (and myself of course)... are enablers! Oh ya, it started with chickens and then goats (I should have tried sheep). Turkeys, pigs. quail, rabbit... shumai! :p
I’ve scrolled through several times and I can’t seem to find the incubation guide you said you linked. Would you mind posting again? Or pointing me in the correct direction?

Single chicks are never good... your family got lucky... and your next hatch experience will be much different!

Aside from learning YOUR bator at your location, get some good hatch knowledge under your belt. A couple good links to review...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

Incubation guide

Don't forget the number one issue with incubating... extra cockerels. Have a plan up front. Expecting them all to find homes where they won;t be eaten is not usually doable. Some folks do keep stag pens where the boys all tolerate each other well, including me. My boys only stay long enough to grow out for eating or breeding as I cannot afford to feed an endless amount of freeloading mouths, but all are ready to mate the ladies much earlier than they are ready to go to freezer camp.
Happy future hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy
The links are the blue writing in the post above.

I’ve scrolled through several times and I can’t seem to find the incubation guide you said you linked. Would you mind posting again? Or pointing me in the correct direction?
Incubation guide

Bookmark it if you like it. ;)

This one I used as informational and adapted to my location/preference but not to follow exactly...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...h-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method.47694/

ETA: Yes, either click on the blue writing or right click and open in new tab. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom