Is it common fo roosters to mate, even if the hens dont want it?

Depends on the roo. My older roo Thor has always been a romantic. He does the whole wing dance thing, woo's the woman, if she's not interested, he seeks out another hen. No biggie.

Impy on the other hand.
somad.gif
DH calls him the rapist. He mates the hens whether they like it or not. His hens heads and backs show the wear and tear from it too.

Guess which roo gets more respect from his hens when it comes to listening to what he "tells" them?

LOL. Love the examples.

I guess My rooster is semi-romantic. He dances and picks them up food, And if they don't drop he will just jump on them anyway.
I guess he isnt very good at wooing them because when he dances he trips on his wing feathers.

And in the banty coop, my little rooster dances up a storm, and pushes his body into the girls trying to get them to drop their wings.

And my OEGB rooster dances, but if the girls say no, he goes back to him buisness.

Last edited:
BoltonChicken, that is hilarious (and interesting)! and I wouldnt be surprised if a pheromone was involved.

It is in my hen house anyway!!! LOL

My roo is bashful though. He seems most randy after the afternoon feed BUT that is also when I have time to sit and visit with my ladies and their gentleman. He waits until I have turned to look at something, anything, out of sight of him before he mates with one of the ladies. It's like he doesn't want me to see what he's doing.

He's shy!!!
lau.gif

That's the problem with so many hatchery chickens. The bloodlines haven't been selected for more normal social behaviors and they haven't been raised seeing those normal social behaviors, either. You can select for good behaviors in roos. They don't have to be useless rapists that do nothing for the flock. Finding food for the hens, protecting them from predators and doing the courtship dance are things you can select for, just like you don't need to keep a super aggressive rooster around. I know, aggression is a little more complicated as an issue, but you know what I mean.

We had a rooster once who would actually do things like climb up on rocks and then jump on them! He had a much better vantage point up there
big_smile.png

I had an awesome roo who used to woo the ladies. He'd pick up a treat in his beak and bring it to them and then jump on them. Sometimes he wasn't so nice but most of the time he was great. He loved them too much though and eventually started getting in my bad books for nipping at me. When I stood my ground he became afraid of me and made the girls afraid of me. So I got rid of him. I hope his son Vincent turns out better, if not he's gone too.

Back
Top Bottom