1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it even worth the money??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BUG126, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BUG126

BUG126 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    WA State
  2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Not worth it!!! You would be better off buying a small cooler and looking up the different plans for home made bators. This way your kids could help make it too. That little dome thing used a light bulb with no way to adjust the temp. Jenn

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have heard a *few* good reviews on them, but that's about it.

If you do decide to get it, check ebay first. I think it'd be cheaper there.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Don't waste your money. Those are very disappointing little plastic cups.

Save your pennies. Buy yourself a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with a turner . Everything is preset and it takes the guess work out of temperature adjustments. Plug it in, add eggs and water for humidity and wait 21 days.

One thing about a hovabator. When you decide you are done and ready to get rid of it, if you have taken care of it, you will get a lot more for it than any other.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Hey, for $18, why not try it?
    They've been around a long time, so they must do something.
    I agree with Jen, though, in the main. If you want to be serious, then get or make a serious incubator.

6. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I have heard they are really cheaply and poorly made...but I have never had one.

My first incubator was borrowed from my County Extension Office where there was a 4H administrator. I just called them up and asked & it was held for me & I went to pick it up. Mine came with a brooder lamp even. I just had to return it when I was done & it was FREE (always nice!) & EASY to do. So perhaps you could call your County Extension or 4H Office??

I also purchased an egg turner at my local feed store as I didn't want to have to turn those eggs manually everyday (afraid I would forget) When they heard it was for a "homeschool project" they gave me a discount. Keep your receipt and you could quickly resell it on EBAY when you are done as "Nearly New~~Used One Time." It will sell for almost what you paid for it, I believe. [​IMG]

Just my opinion though!! Have fun & best wishes on your hatching project! [​IMG]

7. searodent

searodent Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    rhode island
    I actually had one of these "incubators", i got it off ebay along with 5 bantam eggs. I would not reccomend this to anyone! It is almost impossible to regulate the temperature and to control the humidity, its a cheap toy. save yourself the money, aggrivation and dissapointment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by